bad gas mileage in civic cx - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #31
*shrug*

I'm going to tell him how to

I'm going to tell him how to adjust the toe portion of the alignment, which is the part that kills mileage and destroys tires very quickly. Camber is not so much of an issue for normal tires with a decent sidewall as the sidewall flexes to provide a roughly equivalent contact patch with - camber as with 0 camber.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #32
Registered Member

bosch stuff is crap. One of

bosch stuff is crap. One of my goals is to replace all the bosch stuff in my car. I've heard nothing but praise from NGK. I plan to switch my o2 sensors to NGK.

When I replaced my rotor a couple thousand miles ago it was gone. Dealers don't even touch the cap or the rotor.

If you want to clean up your engine a little order some auto-rx when you get some money. It works!!!

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Decent sidewalls are thick

Decent sidewalls are thick and do not flex, they will stabilize that contact patch to one side or the another...
Camber is a higher issue only because it can easily get *bumped* out of tolerance. Toe is not an issue unless his steering components are worn they allow toe to come out of alignment.

What I'm saying is, once Toe is in tolerance, it doesn't come out until those components that control it need replacing. Yes out of spec toe does tear up tires...but the fix is not to try to re-align it. It's to replace them tierods that are in charge of it.
All in all, its a big gamble to start messing with Toe. If he has *play* or looseness in his steering, then he should look at what to do about his Toe alignment. If not, the camber side of it is worth trying to check and align oneself.

Out of spec Camber can cause pulling to one side or another.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #34
*shrug*

Quote:Decent sidewalls are

Quote:
Decent sidewalls are thick and do not flex, they will stabilize that contact patch to one side or the another...
Camber is a higher issue only because it can easily get *bumped* out of tolerance. Toe is not an issue unless his steering components are worn they allow toe to come out of alignment.
Are your sidewalls made out of rebar? How does camber get bumped into a different spot? The upper control arm bending?

Quote:
What I'm saying is, once Toe is in tolerance, it doesn't come out until those components that control it need replacing. Yes out of spec toe does tear up tires...but the fix is not to try to re-align it. It's to replace them tierods that are in charge of it.
All in all, its a big gamble to start messing with Toe. If he has *play* or looseness in his steering, then he should look at what to do about his Toe alignment. If not, the camber side of it is worth trying to check and align oneself.
If his car is lowered his toe will be out of spec, it is extremely easy to set.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
'

Nope. You said a decent sidewall will flex. A decent sidewall will minimize flex. Cheap sidewalls will flex. 5 ply sidewalls are stiffer than 3 cheap ply sidewalls. Thats all I am saying.

Camber can get knocked out of its spot with any bad pothole. Crazy potholes will destroy the tire then the rim, then the control arms. Torque specs are instituted on the camber bolts to allow a bad potholes energy to make the camber position slip to absorb the otherwise highly destructive energy of a pothole.

You adjust toe by turning the inner tie rods. I don't know if that specification will fall out of spec IF his car is lowered. I'll take your word for it tho.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #36
*shrug*

Both camber and toe fall out

Both camber and toe fall out of spec on hondas when ride height is changed. Camber is only adjustable via an aftermarket UCA made for the purpose and toe is done with the tie rods in the front and some shim stuff in the back.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #37
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Re: Both camber and toe fall out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Both camber and toe fall out of spec on hondas when ride height is changed. Camber is only adjustable via an aftermarket UCA made for the purpose and toe is done with the tie rods in the front and some shim stuff in the back.
the man speak of truth
Old 04-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #38
Registered Member

All right, I will be getting

All right, I will be getting an alignment new o2 sensor and spark plug wires after I get done with college for this semester. Thnks for the help everyone.
jerm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #39
Driving on E

Re: All right, I will be getting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm001
All right, I will be getting an alignment new o2 sensor and spark plug wires after I get done with college for this semester. Thnks for the help everyone.
but before you go.... stick around...
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #40
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Re: 12 pound steelies? Are you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
12 pound steelies? Are you smoking some of philmcneal's magic potion?

no, just weighing wheels and tires, brand new tires on steel crx hf rims were weighing in around 27 pounds each for a wheel/tire combo, civic vx wheel tire combo (brand new tires) 23 pounds, both weighed the same day on the same scale, vx rims are 9 pounds and the tires are 165/70-13" and listed I belive as 14 pound tires, the crx hf rims have 175-70-13" tires, and the lightest I've found in that size are 15 pounds, leaving around 12 pounds for a 13x4.5" steel rim, my other honda civic hatchback dx steel rims of a simaler year weigh noticably more, not sure on the exact number as they have my snow tires on them and the snow tire/wheel combo weigh closer to 30 pounds each (and just came off the VX just today a few hours ago).

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote