Best combination of reliability and Fuel Economy for P/U's,SUV's or Minivans - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Best combination of reliability and Fuel Economy for P/U's,SUV's or Minivans

A friend of mine does charity work with animals and needs something better then her 200SX to transport them.

Shes only looking to spend about $3000 or so.

I'm guessing Ford Rangers or Toyota pickups her best bet?

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Do a "search by class" at http://www.fueleconomy.gov. That ought to help narrow the field quickly.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Are we talking Shetland ponies, goats, potbellied pigs, or cats, dogs, rabbits?
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Get a cheap used Dodge Grand Caravan cargo van!
JESSE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'd tend to suggest a minivan over a truck, since she would probably want sick animals in a heated compartment in the winter. In the city a Mercury Village/Nissan Quest is probably a tad better on gas, or a Caravan with the 2.4 or 2.5 4 banger. If there's lots of out of town running then a dustbuster GM van with the 3.8 might be better. An Eagle Summit Wagon might be worth a look as well, or a the Mitsu version of the same. Was there's a tall civic or tercel wagon too?? PT cruiser might also fit the bill, be a tad cheaper in town than most minis, but think that $3000 might not get a very good one if it gets one at all.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Are we talking Shetland ponies, goats, potbellied pigs, or cats, dogs, rabbits?
cats

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Was there's a tall civic or tercel wagon too?? PT cruiser might also fit the bill, be a tad cheaper in town than most minis, but think that $3000 might not get a very good one if it gets one at all.
I kind of wish they still made the Civic Wagon (This One). That was my first car and while I thought it was totally uncool when I was 16 (beige, rusted, gold rims, smelled like gas inside, 260K miles....) it was a great car. It seemed to sit a little taller than the standard civic and had lots of room in the back, plus it got great FE. The FIT is sort of the newer version of it, although it is a tad smaller.

Also I have never heard of a PT cruiser with good FE. But if the PT cruiser has good enough FE for you I think the CRV would be a better choice. EDIT: Sorry I missed your budget requirements. Your best bet would be a town and country.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote