Best FE book I've read - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Best FE book I've read

I did a search for "Bob Sikorsky" on this site, and can't believe I didn't get a match! He wrote several books about FE, and maintaing your car so it will last. I haven't read his latest books, but will soon. I HIGHLY recommend going to your library, and checking out his books! Everything I've read so far on this site has been mentioned, and most of them tested in his book. I don't remember the exact title, but it was something like "How to save money at the gas pump". A newer one has the same title, but adds "In the '90s".

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1587366622/...2&linkCode=asn

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Excerpts from the book. http://www.wheatmark.com/merchant2/m...&Store_Code=BS
Old 04-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SattyFanX4 View Post
excellent link! could this be a mandatory read in high school instead of say, Lord of the Flies?

welcome to the site!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for finding it, guys! He wrote a few others, also.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

Absolutely false statements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SattyFanX4 View Post
Excerpt from book:

(Deceleration is not the same thing as coasting. Coasting is when your foot is off the gas and the car is out of gear; deceleration happens when your foot is off the gas while the car is still in gear. We decelerate many times each day. But did you know that deceleration is the time when a car gets its highest possible gas mileage? About 18 percent of all city driving is spent decelerating. Long decelerating approaches to mandatory stops (car in gear, foot off gas) can yield up to 100 mpg (yes, you read that right, 100 mpg!) for the period the car decelerates. It's a valuable method to use to build up your miles per gallon. Don't rush up to stop signs or traffic lights and then slam on the brakes. Use a long, smooth decelerating approach and watch your mpg start to climb. If you have a trip computer that gives instant miles-per-gallon readings, watch the mpg skyrocket every time you decelerate. This is one of the most important, and easiest to implement, suggestions given in this book.)
__________________________________________________ ______________

CO ZX2 writes:

Statement above is absolutely false and reveals the author's real knowledge of how a car works and his ability to give advanced advice on hypermiling.

It is well known that deceleration in gear uses kinetic energy already produced to unnecessarily rotate the engine. That drag results in drastic reduction in distance travelled, akin to brake application. On level terrain, a car will coast in neutral approximately three times farther than in gear. Engine either on or off. Click Coasting Info link below in my sig.

Highest possible gas mileage will be achieved with Engine Off Neutral Coasting, using stored kinetic energy, considerably more distance using no fuel at all.

There were some good basic fuel-saving suggestions in the excerpts but I was very disappointed when I read the above two paragraphs.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

Wow. I'm disappointed, too. I don't remember that. Maybe it's in a section for auto transmissions.... Mainly what I remember is that almost everything I've read on this forum, he did 20 years ago. He used to compete in hypermiling races before it was a buzzword. I'll get the book from the library, and post the stuff that hasn't been discussed here yet.