Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #31
Registered Member

Matrix & Grand am GT (99-2005)

Grand am Got me 30 freeway while the Vibe dont

ProtonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #32
Registered Member

Yeah that does count. I heard they get 40's mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
tho it's no longer made, does a chevy prizm(toyota drivetrain) count?

Non Gas Saver:
1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
suprapsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprapsu View Post
Yeah that does count. I heard they get 40's mpg.
thanks for the recognition on the prizm. but, i forgot about the 3cyl(or 4 for that matter) chevy/geo metro. that is if geo counts as GM or if they still made a 3 banger after dropping the geo name. also pontiac firefly.

BTW, speaking of metro, where's skewbe been?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #34
Registered Member

The best recent GM would probably be a 2002 Saturn SC1 5 spd or a 1999 Saturn SL 5 spd without AC or PS. EPA highway on those was 39 or 40, far exceeding anything GM actually builds currently. Before those would have been the diesel Chevette as previously mentioned. All the others are rebadged imports.
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #35
Registered Member

Hmmm the 5th Gen Nova, the Prizm and the Vibe were all built in Fremont, California at NUMMI so those I wouldn't really consider imports... the rebadged isuzus, were based a whole lot on GM europe designs, and had input from GM North America, so you might call those imports.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #36
Registered Member

Hello all! I work in sales and marketing for a GM dealer, so I'm intimately familiar with GM vehicles...their quirks and qualities. As much as I love the Vibe for its "fun-to-driveness" and bulletproof reliability, I have to agree that it's really tough to hit the 34 sticker number consistently. 31 or so seems to be closer to reality, although I've had customers report 35-36 on long trips driven prudently. The stick version CAN deliver...but too many customers are loath to consider one. I'm currently driving an 07 G6 with the Ecotec 2.4...33 highway rating, and if I stick it right at 58 I can turn 36.3-36.6 consistently. Very enjoyable car to drive as well. It's always fun to hear customers brag about the mileage they get from their big Buicks as well...32-33 is quite doable with a LeSabre and some Park Avenues. And, it seems the older ones are sometimes capable of even better...88-90 models can hit 35 at times. (I have to believe these numbers since they come from older customers who keep track of EVERYTHING on their car.) My wife's 94 Park Avenue will turn 31 on a long trip...and that's with 175K on the clock. I know I'll get another 100-150K out of it...it's all maintenance. I've always said if you maintain your car like it was an airplane it'll never let you down.

P.S. Have to second the Maxx....it's a real sleeper.
TinkerTronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #37
Registered Member

GM made some tweaks to the Cobalt this spring and came up with the Cobalt XFE (extra fuel economy). 25 city, 36 highway. Remapped engine computer, low rolling resistance tires, tweaked final drive ratio. Manual transmission only, as far as I can tell.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008c...f.jsp?id=25185
mulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulad View Post
GM made some tweaks to the Cobalt this spring and came up with the Cobalt XFE (extra fuel economy). 25 city, 36 highway. Remapped engine computer, low rolling resistance tires, tweaked final drive ratio. Manual transmission only, as far as I can tell.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008c...f.jsp?id=25185
Wondering when someone was going to bring up the Cobalt XFE. And ditto on Lucas oil stabilizer. Unless you've got a 71 plymouth with no rings left, you have no need.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxchain View Post
http://www.edmunds.com is good place for research models. Also, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

I've heard the Aveo got listed on Consumer Reports worst list, and the mileage isn't that great because of the low geared transmission.
Yes, its a Daewoo!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #40
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulad View Post
GM made some tweaks to the Cobalt this spring and came up with the Cobalt XFE (extra fuel economy). 25 city, 36 highway.
That car needs way more publicity. Was it available in February when I was car-shopping? I've never heard of it.

The Chevy website has little info on it, and I was unable to find a price easily.