Best Fuel Efficient Car from GM? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Best Fuel Efficient Car from GM?

What is the best fuel efficient car currently offered by GM??

Non Gas Saver:
1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
suprapsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

Probably the aveo- but they don't make it, they just market it

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

http://www.edmunds.com is good place for research models. Also, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

I've heard the Aveo got listed on Consumer Reports worst list, and the mileage isn't that great because of the low geared transmission.
boxchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

I guess if I HAD to have a GM I'd look at the Vibe or the G5, not impressed with the Aveo at all.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'd recommend the Pontiac Vibe over the Aveo as well. It'll have more space, better reliability and similar FE (33 vs 34 on 08 EPA hwy.) It's the equivalent of the Toyota Matrix. If my car got totaled, I'd probably be looking for one myself.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #6

The Malibu Maxx gets better FE than that POS Aveo, and it is a LOT bigger, too. If you want something nearly as roomy as an SUV (and bigger than ALL SUVs like the RAV4, etc.), with less headroom but twice the mileage, get a Malibu Maxx.

I regularly get 38-40 hwy, it seats 5 COMFORTABLY, has so much cargo space it's not funny, and you can put 8' 2x4s in it and still close the hatchback if you don't tell the wife.

Actually gets BETTER mileage than the Malibu.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Supporting Member

Bruce -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I'd recommend the Pontiac Vibe over the Aveo as well. It'll have more space, better reliability and similar FE (33 vs 34 on 08 EPA hwy.) It's the equivalent of the Toyota Matrix. If my car got totaled, I'd probably be looking for one myself.
I was thinking Vibe (Matrix) too.

EDIT: The new Saturn (Opel) Astra is also right there with the Vibe at 24/32 (new EPA) MPG. The "Mild Hybrid" Saturn Aura Green Line Sedan is also rated at 24/32.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

My old boss has a Chevy Cobalt (virtually the same thing as the Pontiac G5). Might not be quite as economical as the Aveo, but it'd be close. Assembled in Ohio, with more performance and a better chassis.

Actually, the upcoming Cobalt SS might turn in even better EPA numbers since it's getting a turbo'd 2.0L direct-injected engine (from the Saturn Sky Red Line/Pontiac Solstice GXP), slightly smaller than the standard 2.2L, but with more power. [Edit: looks like it'll go from 33 to 35 mpg on the highway, but I couldn't find any info on city mpg.]
mulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
EDIT: The new Saturn (Opel) Astra is also right there with the Vibe at 24/32 (new EPA) MPG. The "Mild Hybrid" Saturn Aura Green Line Sedan is also rated at 24/32.
Makes you wonder doesn't it, they holding something "in reserve" in case they get forced to up CAFE by a chunk or what??? Or is it like a budget, spend all of it or it gets cut, so they just sail close to the wind all the damn time??
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
Registered Member

i've heared GM is thinking about bringing the new corsa to the us as well as the yet to be officially released 2009 meriva small mpv based on the same platform.

the Aveo is just a rebadged daewoo that's probably geared for european citys driveing rather than american highways. over here it's only advantage over comparable cars is it's pricetag...

today i've read VW is also planning to increase it's activity's in the US, they're even planning to produce some new compact models there

i think most car manifacturers are beginning to design their mid to small segment cars with the US market in mind

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote