Best mpg suv? - Page 11 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #101
Registered Member

I think the 2016 Prius hybrid system may be better than in other Toyotas. However, on Fuelly the hybrid Auris models beat the diesel example.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #102
Registered Member

Mmmmm I don't know, I'm a bit sceptical myself, I did a ton of homework on the hybrid V's diesel debate, and diesel nearly always works out more economical, unless you do a huge amount of city driving. Remember you only had that Avensis a week, my boss has a big heavy Passat and he averages close to 60 mpg and he's far from an economical driver.

But as I said, the debate usually comes down to cost, which Toyota have cleverly worked around, meaning the extra capital you would usually pay for a hybrid is now a thing of the past anyway

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:50 AM   #103
Registered Member

Lets get one thing straight - people at work talk complete and utter bollox. Two examples: A lass with a Hyundai Coupe would always claim to get around 60 to the gallon (mid 30s is the best it can expect). She was a notorious liar, and a terrible driver. A lad with a diesel Astra van - WITH NO ODOMETER! - would also claim to exceed 60, without anyway of counting the miles... Why? Usually, whether I got on with them or not, it went like this "Ben, see that crappy eco car that you don't really like and was pretty expensive, well my cheap and fun car does the same economy, ha ha ha!"
I meet no one who calculates brim to brim mileage, vague guesswork is all that exists outside of Fuelly land...!
Looking at the diesel Passat, most model years average 48 mpg. You're expecting me to believe your especially anti-eco driving colleague in hilly Wales magically beats the trend?!
Old 07-23-2016, 03:54 AM   #104
Site Team / Moderator

LOL. Reminds me of a guy I used to know. He drove a late 90's Buick LeSabre. He claimed it would get double the mileage if he only filled the tank halfway, so he never filled the tank.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:23 AM   #105
Registered Member

Yeah, the old "A man in the pub told me..." level of truth...! Someone with a Rover SD1 Vitesse (which is rated 23 mpg here) claimed that if driven at 70-80 mph it would return over 55 mpg. I try and base my observations and arguments on first hand knowledge. Again, this 3.5 litre Rover owner didnt work out mpg, but offered his figures based on how much the fuel gauge moved while at speed...
Old 07-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #106
Registered Member

When I told a guy I work with that I'm working on getting perhaps 40mpg with a Corolla. He tried to tell me his Subaru station wagon has gotten 70mpg. rotflmao!
I do confess. The daily driving I've been doing, lends itself to the better side of mileage. It ain't no hard city, constant traffic lights, kind of driving.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #107
Site Team / Moderator

No way a Subaru wagon gets that much. Not even with Wayne Gerdes driving.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #108
Registered Member

It's not what he was claiming Ben, it was what I discovered after driving his car and going into the menu. Read a few reviews, cars are getting lighter, cleverer and more fuel efficient every day, some auto journalists are getting 55-60 MPG in smaller sized SUV'S now.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #109
Registered Member

Read my daily figures in my Prius menu and they are 10 mpg or so above my real mpg results. It stores a months worth of inaccurate data!
Whatever some other people can or cant achieve under whatever conditions, i m reporting that on my country roads a hybrid is far more economical than a diesel.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #110
Registered Member

In fact, if you guys are prepared to believe i am capable of causing actual people to befriend me;

"Hi, i am Bens hypothetical friend. In an completely out of character act, he lent me his new Prius. Well, i messed around with his computer, and crikey, i can tell all you guys in this forum that a hybrid does nearly 80 miles to the gallon! Quite incredible as it sounds, i have seen the evidence. Makes that Passats 60 mpg look weak by comparison, i guess hybrids are better than diesels after all!"

Clearly, someone as obnoxious and argumentative as me has no friends close enough to lend a car to, but i fancied the back up there of my mystery trip computer believing chum.