Block heater - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: How many of you have a block heater?
I do 14 27.45%
I dont 18 35.29%
I might get one 19 37.25%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandree22 View Post
Being a n00b I wasn't aware <snip>
Well judging by your avatar, you're only about 3 months old, so I'd say you shouldn't be to hard on yourself. :-) Cute photo...

Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
What's a block heater? ;-)
HAHA Bill I'm woundering WHY you don't know what is a block heater. If I was living in Houston, I would probably don't know either what the hell is that. You more likely to need a block colder .

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

Question. For those that have block heaters, can you name your brand/model, and where you got it? That would help for people who want to get one.

Thanks!

CarloSW2
My EBH came as OEM . Northern tier Ford products come with them pre-installed or as dealer install option. It is a 'core plug' style .For newer vehicles there is the OE route ,for older vehicles try a Farm and Tractor supply (Fleet Farm , Farm & Fleet,CT Town and Country Stores etc ) NAPA ,CKS ,Advance,PepBoys O'Reily's should all be able to get them if not stocked.
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #24
Registered Member

I'm interesed to know if it's reliable to install one on my car, but I don't if they're available in my country. By the way, does this device self switches off when the propper engine temperature is reached?
KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #25

Beings you have a diesel GM product , I'm betting that you can get one from a dealer . Try a UK supplier . There are many types some thermo controlled by a 'stat' & some that reach an op temp and hold it there . I have used a plug in outlet timer to switch it on/off every 2 hours - very handy when it hits -30&#176; and lower for two or three weeks straight!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARR View Post
I'm interesed to know if it's reliable to install one on my car, but I don't if they're available in my country. By the way, does this device self switches off when the propper engine temperature is reached?
No, the block heater wont stop when the engine is hot. By the way, I noticed you lived in Portugal, I'm wondering, do you REALLY need a block heater. Because like I said in a post before, it's not very usefull UNLESS its minus 10 degree celcius during the night. And I really doubt that its will be the case. So don't look to install one, I dont suggest you to install one of these, its really for north country.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARR View Post
By the way, does this device self switches off when the propper engine temperature is reached?
Generally no. They are usually just a Cu AC heating element that stays on until turned off. The best bet would be to have a timer inline.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Beings you have a diesel GM product , I'm betting that you can get one from a dealer . Try a UK supplier . There are many types some thermo controlled by a 'stat' & some that reach an op temp and hold it there . I have used a plug in outlet timer to switch it on/off every 2 hours - very handy when it hits -30? and lower for two or three weeks straight!
Or you can also use a timer to set it up 2 hours before you leave.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #29

Key thought is "realllllly cold" weather -otherwise Yes!-2 hours before hand .
I've found when it's that cold - a warm battery does much better at spinning the starter than a warm block . A BatteryTenderJr. gets the nod now.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
No, the block heater wont stop when the engine is hot. By the way, I noticed you lived in Portugal, I'm wondering, do you REALLY need a block heater. Because like I said in a post before, it's not very usefull UNLESS its minus 10 degree celcius during the night. And I really doubt that its will be the case. So don't look to install one, I dont suggest you to install one of these, its really for north country.
OK! Definetely, the temperatures in Portugal never reach such extreme low values, except in some days during Winter. Thank you.

KARR is offline   Reply With Quote