Broke 40! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 02sl1
Broke 40!

Hey guys, just wanted to share the news....I broke 40 mpg this week! Now I have to go for 45...shouldn't be too difficult, (I just got my scangauge yesterday, and I'm going to put in a grill block today). Thanks for all of the tips I've seen all over the place on this amazing, awe inspiring website!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sl1 View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to share the news....I broke 40 mpg this week! Now I have to go for 45...shouldn't be too difficult, (I just got my scangauge yesterday, and I'm going to put in a grill block today). Thanks for all of the tips I've seen all over the place on this amazing, awe inspiring website!
good job. with that sl1 it shouldn't be hard to make 45. saturns are very responsive to HAIs. i had a sc2 with one and before the piston rings went i could get 45 - 50 with mixed driving. after the rings went 15-20.

you could try a piston soak and a throttle body/intake manifold cleaning. that should give you a mpg or two. if nothing else, it will help with oil consumption. im sure you know how much saturns like oil.

i just broke 40mpg city in my cavalier, so i know how you feel. two weeks of driving for less than $18. now if gas would go back down to $0.96 a gallon again...

Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

I JUST broke 40 also!!

Wow!

I got 41mpg coming down on 260 miles of freeway (look at my gaslog).

I have a car that is rated for 28mpg highway also

So the mods work, what do you know!! Lol
Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

piston soak

Not familiar with this.
northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

If he's referring to what I think he is I did this on my Buick years ago. I took the spark plugs out, filled the cylinders with kerosene, then put the plugs back in. Let it soak for a day. Then cover the fenders with plastic, take the plugs out and disconnect the distributor. Crank the engine to blow the kerosene out of the cylinders. Put the plugs back in, change the oil, and it'll smoke for a minute while it burns the residual kerosene from the cylinders, but if your piston rings were stuck they should have been freed, and work better.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoods View Post
Not familiar with this.
i used mmo (marvel mystery oil). but like jay said, remove the plugs, pour about 1-2 ounces in each cylinder. place the spark plugs back in loosely or cover the holes with rags/plastic. let it sit a few hours (i let it sit overnight). double check to make sure the plugs are out. place rags over the holes and place some kind of weight (or have a helper hold them) and turn the engine over a few times. after all of the oil is out put the plugs in and reattach the wires. start the car and go for a spirited drive.

this will clean the carbon out from around the piston rings. it also helps with oil consumption and will help equal out compression.

next oil change i will take some pics and write a tutorial...

Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote