CA VX vs federal VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

CA VX vs federal VX

federal vx uses excess air to dilute a/f.. CA uses egr. this is one of the main reason why federal nets more mpg than CA.

at wot with egr open, less o2 molecules are being burnt meaning less power for the engine. thats why most egrs are vacuum operated so whenever the vacuum drops(wide throttle), egrs closes thus more dense air into the engine.

this only pertains to the vtec-e.
nox production is at peak during the highest egt. meaning 15 a/f and above but at peak of 17:1 that is when nox production gradually decreases. 22:1 a/f yielded the same amount of nox produced by 1 lambda. this means that if youre ever to data log afrs on the vx you will either get <1 lambda or 22:1. since these are the conditions where nox production are at the lower values. CA vx uses egr to dilute a/f @22:1 to minimize more of the nox being produced by the federal VX's

this egr valve is solely dedicated for active operation by the pin a11(pull to ground) on the ecu which is closely monitored by pin d12(0-5 volts input from egr valve lift sensor)

koji_kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hello everyone, I just bought a CA 92 VX and turnned it into a Fed. Driving it in Fed mode seem to bog or jerk a little on the freeway. I don't know if that has anything to do with the lean burn. Anyway my question is, the Fed VX save more gas because of the lean burn right. If i'm cruising on the freeway at 60-70, am I automatically in lean burn. How can you tell if you're in lean burn or not? Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks

GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Once you get used to the feel of the car you will notice when it goes into or out of lean burn. There is a definite decrease in power when LB kicks in, and a increase in power when you get greedy and push the pedal down to far and the car goes out of LB. You should be able to cruise around 65mph on level ground and maintain LB.
veeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

both CA and Fed VX have lean burn, california have strict emissions thats why they incorporated egr during lean burn.

if it bogs down, maybe its too lean and can actually hurt FE. but like veeracer said, maybe its just feels different. keep an eye on your mileage
koji_kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

Well I would say It is much more of a stutter than a bog. Yea so far my mpg hasn't been to impressive. With about 30-40% city and 60-70% hwy driving I've been only getting around 40-43 mpg. If I drive it 80% hwy constantly I have gotten 53 mpg. My crx hf gets 45-50 mpg constantly with 30-40 city and 60-70 hwy.
GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote