Catylitic converter, yea or nay? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Catylitic converter, yea or nay?

On my recently aquired '95 S10 4x4, the previous owner removed the cat. converter and replaced it with a 14" or so resonator. Would my MPG be better if I put a converter back on being thats what it's tuned for? It's OBD I, so theres not a lot of effect from stuff like that. Just wondering because I found a new Magnaflow converter off craigslist for $40.

CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Catylitic converter, yea or nay?

It would likely not change your mileage, but adding a cat for such a low price would be a nice thing to do for everyone- your exhaust will smell better to the person driving behind you.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I'm no environmentalist but I'll second that motion. Do install the cat.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

doesnt do anything haha, my 95's origional cat broke up inside (sounded like a coffee can full of marbles) put a straight pipe in its place, installed a universal cat a year later, now currently no cat cuz i replaced the entire exhaust system

did not see one effect of milleage except the hole the universal one burnt in my pocket.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

There's a federal fine for not having one at all.
There's another fine for having removed it.

"Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer."

Found here:

Cheap insurance, I'd say. No significant change in mileage anyway. I think you put out something like 7 times more pollution without it. It smells bad behind you. Cheap, aftermarket cats can be had for $75 or less last time I bought one.
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post

In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer."

Found here:

B
Yes, this I already know...
CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post

Found here:

Cheap insurance, I'd say. No significant change in mileage anyway. I think you put out something like 7 times more pollution without it. It smells bad behind you. Cheap, aftermarket cats can be had for $75 or less last time I bought one.
B
blah blah blah lol, so is nearly everything else we do illegal... headlight, parking light, turn signal, license light are all illegal and fines if they arent working either but see thousands of them and cops never pull anyone over for just that

so what about cars from 1975 to 1986? they all required CAT's EGR valves some of em had PAIR systems.

anyways could do the ol standby of taking the pipe off the end of the cat and knocking all the crap loose inside and blasting it out, so from the outside it looks like its got a cat

also i prefer the catless smell behind me, keeps retards from parking on my bumper :P also keeps em from tailgating.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

i would put the cat too. better emission and maybe better mpg from back pressure, 4wd is your #1 killer thats more rotating mass

koji_kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote