Civic head swap - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Civic head swap

I have a '96 civic lx with the stock d16y7. What would be the most benificial head swap strictly for FE? I'm leaning towards the 8-valve CX head if it would work, any ideas?

rburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
*shrug*

It's hard to say which will be best between the HX and the 92-95 CX, but one of those.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

What about the VX head? That gets way better FE than the CX, and better than the HX. I personally would go with the HX; If I can afford it I will do that swap soon. It doesnt make much sense to buy a CX head, when you can get atleast the same FE, probably better, and an extra 45 hp with the HX head.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
*shrug*

The VX swap will give nasty compression for just a head swap, the combustion chambers are much smaller than in other heads.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
The VX swap will give nasty compression for just a head swap, the combustion chambers are much smaller than in other heads.
And he might have the same problem with the HX head. The HX motor is just a 1.6L version of the VX.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
*shrug*

Well, the hx head is the same cast as the y8 head, so he won't be having that issue.

W00t w00t.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
swaping to a V-tec head, without the rest of the V-tec hookup is sort of... pointless?
The HX and VX heads work as 12 valve heads at low RPM and 16 valve heads at higher rpm, but they are only one piece of hard ware, there are oil lines, and solinods, and wiring, sensors and a whole branch of the cars computer that controles those extra 4 valves in the head being opened at higher engine speeds, if you don't have those other parts in the car hooked up, then it will simply work as a 12 valve head, the engine will be high tourqe at low RPM, and it's power output will peek at around 2,500 RPM, and then drop off a bit at higher engine speeds, so if you don't have a high geared tranny that is matched to the lower ideal engine speeds, it would be even more pointless to do a head swap.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:31 AM   #8
Registered Member

Don't mean to hijack this thread but how would an HX head work on a d15b7?

Thanks!

-- Scott
Old 10-27-2006, 05:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
swaping to a V-tec head, without the rest of the V-tec hookup is sort of... pointless?
The HX and VX heads work as 12 valve heads at low RPM and 16 valve heads at higher rpm, but they are only one piece of hard ware, there are oil lines, and solinods, and wiring, sensors and a whole branch of the cars computer that controles those extra 4 valves in the head being opened at higher engine speeds, if you don't have those other parts in the car hooked up, then it will simply work as a 12 valve head, the engine will be high tourqe at low RPM, and it's power output will peek at around 2,500 RPM, and then drop off a bit at higher engine speeds, so if you don't have a high geared tranny that is matched to the lower ideal engine speeds, it would be even more pointless to do a head swap.
That's why I'm leaning towards a CX head swap. No hardware to worry about(adding Vtec is a PITA). Is there an issue with the valve reliefs on the piston? In other words, the Y7 has 4 valves/cylinder and the CX head only has two. Would everything else just bolt up?
rburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:11 AM   #10
*shrug*

Well, the cx will need the ecu swapped as well, not to mention the IM and injectors and lots of that as well. I don't think anyone means just the head when they say headswap, they mean the head and the things needed to make the car run properly.

There should not be an issue with the piston relief, the 92-95 cx had 4 valve relief pistons anyway (saved money on production I guess).