Civic STD - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #21
Registered Member

lol i thought something else when I saw STD in the title.

GasSavers_hypermile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeodywhy View Post
Did you swap into an STD?
No- my 87 Civic is a DX, it came with a 5 speed and I have a carbed motor.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:40 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhhs View Post
If all you were doing was putting an hf transmission into an 88 std, I think you'll be disappointed with the drivability when you're done. I put one behind a d15z1, in a 90 hatch and the low end torque of that engine makes it a great swap. Even swapping it into a dx or lx might be ok, but the std engine is only 70hp. I wouldn't go there.
Did you also add the Vtec or did you just run the z1 without.
seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #24

I added the Vtec, I'm using the P07 ECU. But that doesn't change the low end below 2500 RPM.
nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #25
Registered Member

Question

I am very interested in doing the same swap. Right now I'm driving a 90 Z and the $125 I spend a week on gas is getting old and being pinned to the seat just isn't worth it anymore. As a beginner to this type of thing, I like many of my counterparts are looking for info on this swap. I have noticed from my research that it's easy to find what to do but not how to do it. Namely, my biggest question, when people say you have to wire in a 5-wire O2 sensor or the egr components. Do they mean running a wire from a specific pin on the ecu to the component (i.e. a signal wire not a ground) or is there some trick, because everyone keeps saying, "creative wiring."
Old 06-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #26
Registered Member

your first post says it's an 88?

i swapped an si transmission onto my hf engine.

I don't see how the hf transmission mated to the std engine could be any worse than a plain hf.
white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #27

Quote:
I am very interested in doing the same swap. Right now I'm driving a 90 Z and the $125 I spend a week on gas is getting old and being pinned to the seat just isn't worth it anymore. As a beginner to this type of thing, I like many of my counterparts are looking for info on this swap. I have noticed from my research that it's easy to find what to do but not how to do it. Namely, my biggest question, when people say you have to wire in a 5-wire O2 sensor or the egr components. Do they mean running a wire from a specific pin on the ecu to the component (i.e. a signal wire not a ground) or is there some trick, because everyone keeps saying, "creative wiring."
Thats exactly what they mean. You have to run wires from your new ecu, which will be a P07, in the case of a d15z1 swap, to many different components. That is the "creative" part. The plugs for the 2 ecus are different, as is the wiring harness, as are the pinouts. Some wires you could use from your existing harness, for example some of the distributor and injector wiring, others you will have to run new, for example the vtec and egr. I didn't trust most of what I found on the internet after I found a few blatant errors, so I bought a factory shop manual for both a 1990 civic and a 1993 civic and compared the wiring diagrams, changing the pins and running new wires when necessary. I only screwed up two pairs on my first attempt, which I'm actually pretty proud of, but it takes quite a bit of time and patience to do. It isn't difficult though.
nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white90crxhf View Post
your first post says it's an 88?

i swapped an si transmission onto my hf engine.

I don't see how the hf transmission mated to the std engine could be any worse than a plain hf.
My 300zx is a 90. I put a JDM motor in it in the middle of winter in a neighbors driveway mostly at night. I got a great deal on an 88 Civic std. I bought it for the soul purpose of not driving that gas guzzler. I had the Z since I was 18 (I'm 24 now) and the extra expense just isn't worth it any more. My only reservation about the swap is wiring the 5-wire o2 sensor. I looked at my service manual and the o2 sensor has a wire that goes to the vss. From what I have read in posts it should be fine to leave the cable driven gear in as the ecu still ges a pulse signal. Also, the diagram shows six wires wires when it is supposed to be a 5-wire. When I did my JDm swap in the Z, I was helped immensely by people who have done the same thing on tt.net. I need to know how somone wired in there 5-wire o2 sensor. Nowhhs, can you pm me some details regarding how you did your o2 sensor? I would really appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
I have been doing a lot of searching. A member named budoman put an HF tranny in an STD and he was thoroughly dissappointed. I look through his gas logs and the HF swap is not all that impressive. I saw another post of his and he says he has trouble climbing hills. I wonder if performance modds woulg make up for putting tall gears on a weak engine. Maybe a turbo with a slight larger exhaust housing to hit boost at low revs. I think I see why honda went through so much trouble to keep the crx hf so light. In my Z I do 35 in 5th at about 1300 revs. Do you think that upping the fuel a little with lower revs will make much of a difference? Or do you think regular peformance upgrades will make up for the extra weight and lack of power? Or do you think I would bebetter off installing just the fifth gear or just the diff? Installing ac would also cut down on drag in the summer as the windows wouldn't be down; but would they cancel each other out?
He must have been doing something wrong. I find it very hard to believe that going from a forth gear and final drive of .832/3.888 in the STD to a Fifth and final drive of .694/2.95 would not make a SIGNIFICANT difference in FE.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
He must have been doing something wrong. I find it very hard to believe that going from a forth gear and final drive of .832/3.888 in the STD to a Fifth and final drive of .694/2.95 would not make a SIGNIFICANT difference in FE.
Heavy throttle to not have a snails pace in traffic, hills, and the like. I live in the middle of hilly baltimore city. 10% gain is not adequate for the work involed and driving in agressive city traffic.