civic vx 02 sensor UPDATE and lean burn monitor ? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

So...
I finally got my new o2 sensor for my new vx. I read a few reviews from a sharp guy here on gassavers and he said that he used the $77 one and it worked great. Here's a link to the sensor.
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Aut... Oxygen Sensor

I decided to order it and it arrived today. I popped it into my vx and went for a drive...WOW it felt great . So I went back home, got my voltmeter and hooked it up to monitor the lean burn, and went for a drive. Sure enough the lean burn works great with this o2 sensor. I can feel it engage, and see the voltage go to the positive side when it engages (around +.52 at 60mph). It is really nice having the meter hooked up so I can see that I am in lean burn (although nowhere in my drive around did I ever kick it out unless I really tried).

Now what I would like to know is does anyone have a step by step to making a light-up lean burn monitor (like a green light that turns on)? Please be very thorough in your explanation b/c I am an electronics dummy.

Just thought I would let everyone know about the cheap o2 sensor and pick your brains a little more.

I am ready to start tracking mileage and see what this thing can do!!!

coletrain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Lean Burn Mode

Have you consider just getting a wideband with gauge. This will give you your lean burn reading plus some like the one I have (PLX wideband with gauge) it has a second LED system that changes color to show at a glance that you are in lean burn mode.

It also comes in handy for trouble shooting.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

pgfpro - No, I haven't really thought about a wideband setup for this car. Now on my last SR20det setup it was needed, but I am not sure about one for the VX.

I would rather just hook up a simple light or meter in order to monitor.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Would it be possible to tap the existing sensor's wires? It's a wideband sensor.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

theholycow - I wondered about that too? It seems like it should work just fine being as it is a wideband style sensor (at least the older diy wideband kits).

Well if nothing else I must say I am impressed the cheapo sensor seems to work flawlessly like it does! Heck at that price even if I have to buy one every couple of years I am still miles ahead money wise.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
jmf
Registered Member

closed loop monitor
I built this and it works great. You can change the comparator to light for closed loop or open loop. I have two green LEDs on the dash one lights for injectors off and they both light for lean burn.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip onthe O2 sensor. I'll be sure to get one there whenitcokes time to replace mine.
I'd like to learn more about this lean burn and get one of those monitors that you refer to so ican confirm i'm running in LB.
if it were me, I'd want a light on the dash that showed when I wasn't in LB. If you figure it out, please share. Sounds very interesting.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

jmf - Thanks for the heads up on the o2 sensor, you were the one who posted that you had used it and it was working. Also, could you go into more detail about how your specific setup works on your car??? I think I understand, but am not sure.

LarryJ - The monitor that I am using right now is just a digital multimeter hooked up to the D14 and D16 pins of the ecu. When the car isn't in lean burn it registers negative (-) numbers on the readout. When the car is in lean burn mode cruising it will register positive (+) numbers in the .40 -.56 or so range.
If you would like to know more about the monitor just search this site for lean burn monitor and you should find it.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
jmf
Registered Member

The closed loop monitor uses a comparator curcuit. You set a voltage and you can wire it to light above or below that voltage. Injectors off is a certain voltage(I forget what it was) so I made two curcuits one is set to monitor lean burn the other monitors the injectors.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

Re: civic vx 02 sensor UPDATE and lean burn monitor ?

WWW.ROCKAUTO.COM has one for 137 5-wire. I ordered one we'll see. they also have other brands for 179 and 205 and so forth. the Bosch is on there, so is the Delphi... many brands NKT. I looked EVERYWHERE. They have the best prices. I don't work for them or anything, I just on a VX and thought it was outrageous to pay 300+ for an 02 sensor. i had a jag once that only costs 150

Kendaddy126 is offline   Reply With Quote