Clip from Amsoil website -BS? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Clip from Amsoil website -BS?

This is a clip from a website (http://www.performanceoiltechnology....categories.htm) I found while trying to find info on the different types of oil bases about Amsoil oil . Could there be any truth to it ? It's their website so of course they're going to try to paint the rosiest picture possible , aren't they ? My Buick has always had Kendall motor oil used in it by the former user and I'm hoping possibly to stick with the same type of oil now that a change will be due soon . I"ve always used Valvoline or Mobil One products but I realize that I don't know much about the different types oils . Does it matter if you stick with the same base of oil ? I'm thinking that Kendall is a parrafin base such as Quaker .

This is the clip:

A friend told Boring about AMSOIL products. He promised better gas mileage - an important selling point with today's high gasoline prices - more efficient performance and longer life.

The vehicle had 40,000 miles on it when Boring installed AMSOIL products bumper to bumper.

"I did it all at one time, just to see the difference," Boring said. He installed AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil, used AMSOIL Engine Flush and then installed AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil and AMSOIL Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid.

"I especially like the ATF," Boring said. "The truck shifts smoother and the transmission is quiet. All you hear is the tires on the ground. I've tried other synthetics, lots of them. I just never saw any difference. But, with AMSOIL, I saw a difference right away."

The first tankful of gasoline increased his mileage from 15 mpg to 20.5 mpg. "I swear I didn't believe it," he said. "I'm averaging between 19 and 21 mpg all the time.

"This stuff is awesome and I'm letting all my friends know about it."

GasSavers_RunningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
*shrug*

BS!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
If the truck was full of sludge fore and aft any fluid change would have done the same
Old 01-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
ELF
Registered Member

Thats a 35% increase, just from different oil? LOL.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

Here's a good site that has some interesting info on real world oil change intervals between Amsoil and Mobil 1. It's interesting the different additive packages each uses. Nothing on FE but I would agree with others here.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I have a Honda cb125 motorcycle, that I've ridden down the exact same streach of road, and back with a digital speedo, and digital tac, after rebuilding the engine I broke it in, and did an oil change, rode it a few more miles to make sure that all the grit was out then switched to amsoil, and noticed around 3% increas in speed (top speed is around 60mph wide open), this was the same tank of gas, on the same road, the same day, repeated trial runs, and this was with an extreamly simple drive train that called for an oil without friction modifiers.
so if you were to take a vehicle that had a rear transfer case, and greesed drive shaft bearings and joints, and replaced all that greese, oil, and gear oil with new lube I'm sure you would see an increase in mileage, and from my above personal expearince, I've seen slight increases in power that I can only give credit to synthetic oil, is it magic? nope, it's just made out of natural gas, insted of crude oil, so it has less impurities in it.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Nothing on FE but I would agree with others here.
Actually, they did note that the Amsoil thickened noticeably over the course of the test, from a midrange 5W30 at the start to 15W40 at 14,000 miles. They also noted that Mobil 1 was at the lower end of its viscosity tolerance range when fresh. It's generally agreed here that a lower viscosity oil will increase FE.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

So, Mobil 1 has a comparable service life, lower viscosity (=better FE), lower cost and better availability. Why use Amsoil instead?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
ELF
Registered Member

That is kinda old, 2003, amsoil has changed there formula since then, there newer oil doesn't have the problem with thickening over time.

I think if synthetics would help FE the auto makers would use it as a cheap way to lower there CAFE.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningOnFumes View Post

"I did it all at one time, just to see the difference," Boring said. He installed AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil, used AMSOIL Engine Flush and then installed AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil and AMSOIL Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid.

"I especially like the ATF," Boring said. "The truck shifts smoother and the transmission is quiet. All you hear is the tires on the ground. I've tried other synthetics, lots of them. I just never saw any difference. But, with AMSOIL, I saw a difference right away."

The first tankful of gasoline increased his mileage from 15 mpg to 20.5 mpg. "I swear I didn't believe it," he said. "I'm averaging between 19 and 21 mpg all the time.
I believe it. While I do have a dealership with Amsoil, I believe this would be possible with other syns or combinations thereof. This was probably a worst case scenario changing into a best case scenario. Its hard to tell without more details.

While I do "sell" Amsoil, I put the best in my vehicles and have no problems doing so regardless of brand.

I do believe syns affect FE directly and indirectly. This post is an example of the direct effect. Indirectly, the longevity and protection against viscosity breakdown are examples. Also, up here, it is 0 degrees here more than I car for. Cars crank and warm a heckuva lot faster with 0w20 or 5w20 than with even 10w30 or 5w30.

OCI(Oil change interval) and oil choice are like determining a diet. One solution isn't applicable for everyone. You need to taylor it to your personal needs and driving habits.

Untuned
koffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

I think Borings increase in fuel economy is excessive. He was probably more conscious of his driving style after changing over to Amsoil because he wanted to realize the benefit of added economy. When I switched my 01 Impala over to Amsoil I was getting about 2.5-MPG better fuel economy because I changed driving habits at the same time I changed the oil. Now that I have gone back to my old ways I get an average 1.5-MPG better.

I switched to Amsoil for the extended oil changes; the 1.5-MPG increase in economy is an added benefit. My car had 201,000 miles on the odometer when I switched over. Before Amsoil I was hoping to get 300,000 miles out of the car but now it is running like it did when it had 70,000 miles on it so I expect to get 400,000 miles. I am going to sample the oil with about with 6,500 miles on it (just to know) and will probably half-life it (12,000 miles) the first time because the car has so many miles on it and I didn’t do Amsoil’s recommended oil flush. Right now the oil has 6,000 miles on it and is just starting to turn dark.

When you use with Amsoil for extended service intervals you have to use an Amsoil filter or change your off brand filter at 7,500 miles and top off your oil. In addition Amsoil oil filters flow better than the average filter so there is less resistance on the pump, which helps with power, cold starting and FE, but probably isn’t enough to notice a difference. If you install a bypass filter and sample your oil you may, I repeat, may never have to change the oil again.

I have worked aircraft jet engines for the USAF for 21 years. They don’t change their oil unless there is a problem through oil or chip analysis. I know sampling works if you want to know the status of your oil but don’t blame anyone who wants to just change his or her oil sooner.

My wife and I drive 3 vehicles 65,000 miles a year so the extended oil changes really work for us. I was so impressed with the results I became a dealer just to help my friends who live out in the boondocks and commute long distances to work like me.

Finally, I have a friend who races in the WORCS series on a 07 Honda TRS 450 that has separate sumps for the engine and transmission that hold less than a quart of oil combined. These races are an hour or so long; the 14-1-compression engine turns 11,000 RPM. From the day it was new the Honda transmission oil was literally burning up durring every race (you could do the nose test on this one from 10 feet away!). After an expensive engine/trans rebuild he switched to Amsoil motorcycle 10W-40 in the eng and trans. His first race weekend with Amsoil he ran over 5 hours on Amsoil and it only changed color. I contacted Amsoil and asked if this discoloration was a problem and the tech said no. The tech did say that the oil should be sampled to find out how long is should be run before it needed replacing but my friend decided it was easier to change it after every 2 hours of operation.