Cobalt Challenge - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cobalt Challenge

not really a challenge but i wanted to get with all the cobalts out there and see what we can figure out with our cars the best things and techniques that work to build up gas mileage.

100% driving technique is one. i've figure out that by shifting at 2000 rpms on low accel has increased my mpg tremendously. even in town i get gains, in the process of making a front grill shield.

grsshpr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Cobalt Challenge

realize that a cobalt and a cavalier are pretty much redneck step sisters of each other. similar drive train and I think the last few years of the cavalier have the same drive train as the cobalts.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

yes it is but the engine is more updated in the ecotecs compared to the older 2.2
Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

updated?

newer engines aren't necessarily better. my first car was a 3 cyl geo metro that was rated 50mpg. I would love to have that thing back again. also, the civic VX which incorporated lean burn was (and still is) one of the most awesome small cars out there because of the motor technology.

the later model cavaliers had the ecotec motors in them. can't remember the year they started with them though. maybe 2000 or 2002 (2005 was the last year of the cav)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Depends on priorities. Lean burn can give you better fuel economy, but at the expense of emissions. Even when new, the VX fed wouldn't pass Carb regulations. Now, with increasing population and vehicles on the road, more states are adopting the Carb levels. IIRC, it's 14 now.

It isn't just emissions. Safety standards have improved also.But mainly, the horsepower wars have played a big part in reducing fuel economy. Many family cars now available, are faster than sports cars of the '70s and early '80s.

Back to the ecotec, I love the top access oil filter cartridge. Wish more of my cars had that.

The aerodynamics and manual already give your cobalt an advantage over my HHR. I've tried a WAI without any change in economy. I do use it during the winter since it seems to speed up the warm up time. In the past, I had an air dam under the bumper made from landscape edging. I've been meaning to install a sturdier one.

Does the Cobalt have a habit of developing noises from the front end, mainly the anti-sway bar and its linkages?
trollbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

these cars along with hhr and pt cruisers and neons all have problems with the control arm bushings which i need and my strut bearing plates are making noise so i think i might be creating drag by not fixing them yet.
once i get the time to replace the bushings and align it i'll find out lol