Congrats to COZX2 on the 100+ MPG fill! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2007, 04:58 AM   #11
Registered Member

MetroMPG: I agree 100%. Look at the pictures of the testing equipment that CO is using. The guy is just plain hardcore. He is a leader, and is paving his own path. I for one believe his numbers and think that he is someone that the members of gassavers.org should strive to emulate.

Keep up the good work!!! I knew that your first 100 mpg fill would be coming in soon!

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #12
Registered Member

I feel in this forum you have to take a person at his or her word. CO has helped me alot by giving away some of his secrets. He is always ready to help. I would like to have a scan gauge to check things out more, but alas no OBDII.

Using the gauge stack for checking his mods is something no one else has even attemted to my knowledge. Lots of thought goes into his testing.
Look at what his attack plan is, check everything and question everything. If it doesn't help off it comes! CO puts alot of thought into what he does and does not do!

His background can only be a plus also. A year ago I would not believe it either but I do NOW. Look at what some of the claims people get with their Prius. It can't all be because it's a hybrid. Lots of it is driving skill.
Thats my two cents.

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Agreed!! Absolutely amazing on the 100+ MPG.....but well worth it, considering the amount of thought/planning/execution of the existing mods. Keep with it, and help out all of us straining to hit the high, high peak of 30 MPG!!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
MetroMPG: I agree 100%. Look at the pictures of the testing equipment that CO is using. The guy is just plain hardcore. He is a leader, and is paving his own path. I for one believe his numbers and think that he is someone that the members of gassavers.org should strive to emulate.

Keep up the good work!!! I knew that your first 100 mpg fill would be coming in soon!
Radish, dont be too quick to judge. A few weeks ago I HATED mr 85mph CO. (Nothing against you CO, it was pure jealousy talking ) Look at him... he was getting SWEET gas mileage in a car that actually looks normal. He did what apeared to be a few mods that I was actually envious of and wished that I was able to do. (I actually plan on increasing psi and adding high flow air filter so far, but thats a far cry from all the aero stuff that CO did.)
Butthen I realized that CO has to work pretty hard (harder than I am willing to) to get the mpg he gets. I now appreciate and RESPECT what he is able to achieve in his car. Id love to see his car one day and get some ideas. (Too bad I live in the NY area) I'll never get half the mpg he gets using my 98 Camry but thats because I will prob never put the same dedication and effort he does into his car. I was ecstatic to get up to 593 miles in one tank this morning. I cant wait to update my garage this morning.
Also you have to understand that he has some advantages that some of us dont have as in his terrain which he uses to his advantage. 10,000 feet is a very high altitude and even CO has told us that he has a nearly 2 mile descent on one route.
I doubt that CO is lying, but if he is, it doesnt hurt me. I just appreciate that hes a cool person willing to share his ideas and make me (all of us) a better mpg driver.
CONGRATS CO, keep it up !!
GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not going to raise a big stink about it, but I don't believe those numbers for one minute.
A stink has been raised

I've been called a liar on another site for the mpg I get, not cool . How do they know? They don't, so it is out of line to say otherwise. I know I'm not lying every time I fill my car and I'm sure CO is the same way. I believe this site is for sharing ideas and helping each other get the best FE out of thier situation. CO is very helpful whenever I've needed tips on techniques or aero mods. He's pm'd me on several occasions to give me pointers or advice.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #16
Registered Member

I am also part of the « questionning bunch » Radis atomique. I don't beleive almost anything I read here... even my own experiments.... except when I get convinced, and to do so, I must prove my mind full of preceding experience that this last result is feasible or possible.

Being a skeptic by nature ( and a scientific by experience), reading these extreme performances by basjoos, CO and others, I thought, as a new member, that GS was -- if not a joke -- a nice place for dreamers ! I myself did many experiments on the best way to achieve best FE by driving techniques alone, and I must say I cannot extend FE much more in this same path. ( 105 MPG on a full tank). There seem to be a wall right there ! But these experiments and real life FE driving opened my mind to accept new experiments done by CO ZX2 ( and thus his results).

CO ZX2 seem like an impossible reality ! Gaining around 20 mpg just adding front wheel skirts ? What the hell contains the air in Colorado ? some ether? or nerve gaz out of powerplant chimneys altering the brain ? Or else ..... I have a lot to learn from his experience ! Since I beleive you're all honest people ( like me !) then I must applaud these achievements !

My car achieved 105 mpg just with acute basic driving techniques ( no possible P&G or EOC). This is due to an efficient small diesel engine and light weight car. I tought first that would be impossible with a ford gas heavyer mover. But the ZX2 has better aerodynamics than my car, which is kind of a square box. Improving the fairing of the ZX2 makes it even better. My gosh, if ever I enter this fairing business, I might go up to 150 mpg ???

Here are a few interrogations :

1- Is it really possible to improve by so much FE, just by pulsing and gliding ? I always tought constant low speed was the best for FE, low because of wind and constant because of acceleration draining more energy than gliding is gaining ( I mean not loosing). The only thing that convinced me was that acceleration is made at better engine efficiency ( not applicable to my diesel since lean burn is the norm for FE in dsl). ( P&G must then be better for some cars only). But really that much improvement ??

2- Downgrades never balance upgrades : My experience shows me that we never gain going down what we lost going up. A stopwatch on a bicycle demonstrate it. The wind effect must make the difference, since the energy gain down equal the energy lost up. It is even worse in a car considering the overall inefficiency of the ICE. How can you have so good results in CO mountains ? I always tought flatland was the perfect FE gainer.

3- Fairing vs driving techniques : While basic engineering ( mostly more efficient engine and transmission ) is king in improving FE, fairing to reduce drag is certainly the second most important factor as speed increase. Going to the extreme like basjoos' lunar car must improve by a good margin, but just a few additions like wheel covering and small skirts .... can they do such a difference ?

Since this topic was aiming at congratulating CO ZX2, well I am very happy Old reliable is first on the top 10 most efficient... We'll learn from your experiments.
GasSavers_Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
1- Is it really possible to improve by so much FE, just by pulsing and gliding ?

Read the reports from any fuel economy competition. P&G is always the preferred technique.

2- Downgrades never balance upgrades : My experience shows me that we never gain going down what we lost going up. A stopwatch on a bicycle demonstrate it.

Ya, well, he's not on a bike, he's in a car.

3- can they do such a difference ?

Find out for yourself.

Just because YOU can't do something, doesn't mean it can't be done.

-------------------
Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #18
XFi
Registered Member

CO ZX2
You can't do that!!!

Actually, you CAN!!!
Great Job and keep up the good work.

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #19
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

atomicradish-

I am a total believer. I reached 46mpg with some tape, pumped up tires and driver technique, in the cool wet early spring, in a relatively inefficient car. I thought the best I could ever do was 40mpg.

COZX2 has performed extensive mods and has a instant feedback device that, I am sure, he uses to ekk out every possible bit of motion.

It is fun really, challenging and I am sure he is trying for more. I am hoping that I can challenge his numbers.....I just need some time!!!

Congratulations COZX2!!!

BeeUU

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
Registered Member

It's freaking awesome you got 100mpg, but it would be even better if it can be real world driving IE not taking off alternator. The aero mods rock and the driving technique but on the alternator it's allmost like cheating it's something you need that you take off to get better mileage until your battery dies.

But still the mileage you got before the alternator was off is amazing.

korax123 is offline   Reply With Quote