Coolant guage in, air dam testing - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Coolant guage in, air dam testing

I have installed a coolant temp guage a few weeks ago and removed my Radiator fan at the end of the last tank. I did not see any improvement in engine response or economy without the fan, which baffles me.

So my next thing on the list was the air dam. I have cut up a cardboard box and started sticking the pieces behind my grill in front of my radiator. Right now 95% of the grill is blocked with a small ~2"X12" opening on one side exposed(not even in front of the radiator).

I drove to work with 79 degree ambient temps and never got beyond 218 degrees (same as without block). It will be warmer out when I go home this evening, so that will be a better test.

One awesome thing I noticed is it only took 1-2 miles to get up to 200 degrees, where it usually takes 4 miles or so. Big improvement there that should increase economy by itself.

I am still not sure if I can coast any further with the cardboard in place. It is not evenly put on like the nice blocks I have seen here, as I don't want to cover up my chrome grill and make my car ugly . I might be able to paint the cardboard silver and put it closer to the grill for a more permanent install (or maybe black?).

How much should a grill block improve on a car as big as mine anyhow? Is it going to be a smaller improvement in comparison to a metro with a grill block?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Flat black paint works well.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks I will have to try that.

I covered some more on the way home today. Still didn't make too much of a difference in temps, however it was pretty cool out as a rain storm had come through.

This week ought to be interesting.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Do you have an electric fan in there yet? I just don't want you to melt anything.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

No, I don't have a fan yet. I don't drive in traffic though, and turn off at stoplights. From my testing today it looks like it takes 30-60 seconds for the temp to start rising from 210 after my coast to the stoplight. (had to leave it running as I had run my battery down the night before leaving my lights on)
Old 07-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Its spelled gauge not guage.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks, I work at a place with the name guard. Guess I didn't think about gauge being spelt opposite
Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Supporting Member

I like your car Fourthbean.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Fourthbean - I saw better FE with a 75% grille block on the Jeep. You've got better aero qualities than I do, so YMMV. Not sure about longer coast-down times, tho.....

BTW - That's some big brass cojones....running that Bel-Air without a rad. fan....