Crankcase vacuum question. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #21
Registered Member

http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/745524/10002/-1 Try this link. Hope it works. When you see the prices you'll see why I wanted to try this the "cheap" way.

67 Satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Satellite View Post
Assuming you have a wet sump oil system,the oil pressure won't be effected at all. The inlet side of the oil pump is in the same vacuum as the outlet side,it will just pump oil from point A to boint B.If it were pumping oil to the outside of the engine then it would have to fight the vacuum,but within the engine the pressures(or vacuums) on both ends of the flow path are equal.
That aside, oil psi is rpm dependant and at idle, usually more than 15 psi. the hydraulic lifters are going to be limited as to the max pressure but will see full oil pressure up to that point. even if you did pull 14 psi vacuum on them directly, there's still plenty of PSI oil pressure to go especially at 5k rpm

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #23
Registered Member

Good point 67 Satellite, thanks.

Another stray neuron suggested... "Hey whaddabout them oldskool airpumps used for emissions, if modified*, would they pull vacuum?"

*Probably you'd need to plumb/fab up an inlet.

Edit: awesome! They appear to be positive displacement vane pumps, some folks are selling them for crankcase evac duty on drag cars, but advise that the electric ones are not suitable for continuous duty. I'll have to go find a vict..errr donor.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Good point 67 Satellite, thanks.

Another stray neuron suggested... "Hey whaddabout them oldskool airpumps used for emissions, if modified*, would they pull vacuum?"

*Probably you'd need to plumb/fab up an inlet.

Edit: awesome! They appear to be positive displacement vane pumps, some folks are selling them for crankcase evac duty on drag cars, but advise that the electric ones are not suitable for continuous duty. I'll have to go find a vict..errr donor.
wonder what the net gain would be? the advantage of letting engine vacuum pull the cc vacuum is no extra drag from it. now you're adding a belt, some bearings, and a pump. on the other hand, they're pretty low displacement and whatnot meant to be seamless incorperation into an existing engine.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Satellite View Post
Assuming you have a wet sump oil system,the oil pressure won't be effected at all. The inlet side of the oil pump is in the same vacuum as the outlet side,it will just pump oil from point A to boint B.If it were pumping oil to the outside of the engine then it would have to fight the vacuum,but within the engine the pressures(or vacuums) on both ends of the flow path are equal.
The oil pump moves oil through the pickup tube by creating a vacuum in the pump. The maximum it can create is about 30"hg, and if there is 20"hg on the inlet of the tube, the flow will be considerably less than if there is 2"hg at the inlet to the pickup tube. It makes no difference where the pump is located.

High vacuum in the crankcase also causes bubbles in the oil at the vapor pressure is reduced.
onovakind67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
The oil pump moves oil through the pickup tube by creating a vacuum in the pump.
I think the vac where the oil is picked up will be the same as it is where it can leak out of the oil galleys...i.e....the rod/mains...valve train? So any effect is canceled out? The slight vac might help the rings seal better and cause less oil to migrate past the valve/crank seals?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA View Post
I think the vac where the oil is picked up will be the same as it is where it can leak out of the oil galleys...i.e....the rod/mains...valve train? So any effect is canceled out? The slight vac might help the rings seal better and cause less oil to migrate past the valve/crank seals?
Vacuum is an absolute value. You can do no better than a perfect vacuum, and if there is also a perfect vacuum in the crankcase, what will cause the oil to flow through the pickup tube? The higher the vacuum gets in the crankcase, the harder it is to get oil into the pump.
onovakind67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #28
Registered Member

Heh, if we were talking "perfect vacuum" we'd have to worry about hot metal evaporating. Pumps create a pressure differential, if they're working under 15psi and can put out 50psi over that, then they will still be able to put out 50psi over 3 or 4 psi ambient conditions. Now you might have issues priming a pump in vacuum conditions, air being "stretchy" as it were, but oil is less so and won't be a problem unless you're running el-cheapo bargain bin oil that boils at 160C under atmospheric pressure, decent 200-220C BP oil shouldn't be a problem at the minor vacuums we're talking about.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Vacuum is an absolute value. You can do no better than a perfect vacuum, and if there is also a perfect vacuum in the crankcase, what will cause the oil to flow through the pickup tube? The higher the vacuum gets in the crankcase, the harder it is to get oil into the pump.
Back to the original intent for a minute.We're not trying to create an absolute vacuum,just a partial of say 5-10".I'm not trying to crush the oil pan with the atmosphere here,just save a little fuel. According to some dyno reports I've seen posted,there is a point of diminishing return for horsepower improvement at somewhere between 12' to 15". Beyond that increased vacuum produces no more power.
67 Satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #30
Registered Member

just throwing it out there, if you do want a mechanical crankcase pump, Mercedes Benz equipped some of their cars with them connected to an electromagnetic clutch. I'm not sure when this turns on or off, or why they used such a complex pcv system, but they have them. I know for sure they are on 1985 380 SE's not sure what else they might come on.