CRX HF lean burn - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
CRX HF lean burn

I should probably look to posting this question on a Honda board, but since they're mostly ricers I figured I could at least get away with asking it here.

Well, I was following this thread for a bit: http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.ph...ffe26e1d1c7750

..and I thought about how the Civic VX engine (D15Z1), although much more powerful than the CRX HF engine, still uses so little fuel. I then wondered, without doing the HF to VX engine & ECU swap, could a compromise be reached with the HF engine? That is, what would it take to get a CRX HF to be lean-burn? Obviously the car would still lack the V-TEC and horsepower of the VX, but it would certainly save more fuel if it had the lean-burn advantage. Any thoughts? Could a VX ECU be modded to work?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
lol, or I suppos I could do just a little bit of research first, to prevent me from looking like an entire ***.

I guess I should omit the "lean-burn" phrase, since that is apparently reserved for an engine that keeps 4 intake valves at bay, while using just one intake valve per cylinder during times when only minimal power is required. Instead what I would like to propose is the feature of the VX that allows the engine to shut fuel to the cylinders off when the car is just coasting, since some of us don't like shutting the car off every time we coast. I think every car on the planet should have a way of shutting fuel off when coasting for significant periods of time.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
decel fuel cut? like leave it in gear and use less gas, or neutral coast fuel cut? the latter, just use the key. the former is a little more complex.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
It would be wiring, ECU and a few sensors like the $170-$300 O2 sensor... but this is a good question! maybe throttle position sensor? I think the 2nd generation crx hf had very simaler fuel injection set up as the VX does, 1st generation crx hf have a carburator of course and are already basicly a lean burn with carburator.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
lol, or I suppos I could do just a little bit of research first, to prevent me from looking like an entire ***.

I guess I should omit the "lean-burn" phrase, since that is apparently reserved for an engine that keeps 4 intake valves at bay, while using just one intake valve per cylinder during times when only minimal power is required. Instead what I would like to propose is the feature of the VX that allows the engine to shut fuel to the cylinders off when the car is just coasting, since some of us don't like shutting the car off every time we coast. I think every car on the planet should have a way of shutting fuel off when coasting for significant periods of time.
A couple of things. First of all, lean burn is not restricted to 16 valve engines. There is no reason why it couldn't be used on an 8 valve engine. This is especially true of the HF, where the intake valves are off to one side of the cylinder. This tends to do a good job of promoting swirl, which is precisely what the D15Z1 does when not using both intake valves.

As for lean burn, this is going to be something difficult to apply to the HF. The problem is that the ECU has no provisions for it. As long as it is running in closed-loop mode, it is going to try to maintain a stoichiometric mixture. And any attempt to lean things out beyond the ability of the ECU to correct is going to make things lean all the time - not good.

As for shutting off fuel to the cylinders while coasting, this is actually a typical feature of pretty much ALL EFI systems. Your HF probably already does it.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

I know that my 1985 crx hf cuts fuel while coasting in gear as long as the engine is still above a set RPM, my 1983 honda civic also does this, you can clearly see this in the wiring diagram for that car, I can dubble check but I'm pretty sure that my 1973-78 civic shop manaul also shows the fuel cut solinoides, 3-4 of them on the carburator allowing it to compleatly cut fuel, and a vacuum switch on the intake manifold that trips them when the throttle is closed and the engine is reved.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

My HF cuts the injectors at above 1200 rpm with the throttle closed when it's warm, 1500 when is cold. You can feel it happen when the rpms drop below you can fell it surge forward slightly when the injectors open
FritzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Registered Member

I think you could simulate a lean burn system on a car other than the VX pretty easily, but I am not sure how well it would work, or how hard on the engine it would be.

If I was going to try it, I would buy an Innovate Motorsports Wideband O2 sensor and controller. These controllers usually come with two sets of analog outputs, that can be programmed to simulate a narrowband O2 sensor, such as the one used on the HF. However, it would be very easy to set the controller to output one signal that had the narrowband crossover point at 14.7/1 AFR, and the second one at something higher, like 15.5-16.5/1 AFR. Then it would just be a matter of switching which one of these two signals fed into the O2 input on the hf ecu. When it was set to the higher AFR input, it would use the closed loop mode to attempt to hit this AFR instead of 14.7, which would result in a "lean burn mode".

It is possible this would just confuse the ECU, and cause a CEL, though.

MatHadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

For in gear fuel cut, I checked the shop manuals and the 1973-77 1.2L and 1.3L civics had fuel cut over 12mph with a warm engine, good oil presure and high manafold vacuum, those engines do not appear to be cvcc engines, the 1977 cvcc engine might be the first cvcc (lean main mix with a rich mix next to the spark plug giving an overall leaner mix) that also had fuel cut while going over 12mph with high manifold vacuum, and it appears to be 3 solinoids that were triggered that cut the fuel.
does anyone know if a vx ecu would work in a 2nd generation crx? are they simaler enough that it would plug in?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
For in gear fuel cut, I checked the shop manuals and the 1973-77 1.2L and 1.3L civics had fuel cut over 12mph with a warm engine, good oil presure and high manafold vacuum, those engines do not appear to be cvcc engines, the 1977 cvcc engine might be the first cvcc (lean main mix with a rich mix next to the spark plug giving an overall leaner mix) that also had fuel cut while going over 12mph with high manifold vacuum, and it appears to be 3 solinoids that were triggered that cut the fuel.
does anyone know if a vx ecu would work in a 2nd generation crx? are they simaler enough that it would plug in?
There is no plug-in capability. Not only do the wires not terminate in those locations on the ECU, but the plugs are different pin numbers and shapes.

soletek is offline   Reply With Quote