Crx Hf Vs. Civic Vx - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #21
Supporting Member

Thanks for your answer Soletek. Yes you are right, the Si is fuel injected so it may take a bit of work. Right now it still get close to 40 mpg according to the owner.

I made a deal with the owner of the 1986 Si, so I am going to pick that up next week or so. You just don't see them anymore so I couldn't resist

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
the early SI civic had a decent 1.5L engine, not sure what the exact number is, but simaler to what the later fuel injected 1.5L civics had, it wasn't tuned purely for power, just more power then what else was avalible at the time, from what I hear 40+mpg is pretty standard with a mid 80's SI civic.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #23
Registered Member

Sweet little ride can I ask what you paid for it?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #24
Registered Member

McPatrick,
Congratulations on the purchase, it looks like a nice little car.

I have been keeping a log plus photos of most of the steps I've taken to do this swap. I will share once I figure out how to use this site. I don't know how many photos are possible here, or if there is another way. At this time I am awaiting a 5-wire lean-burn setup. The car is now running on a 4-wire setup. My extra time has been spent on the car so I haven't had time to post a thread on this site. I do intend to do so. Even though it has been a very difficult process I've been having a lot of fun!
soletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #25
Supporting Member

@ panamacolin: Sure. I paid $900 for it. And it has 4 brand new tires, a new battery, new brakes all around, new muffler, new radiator and a new timing belt. It also has a new head gasket and valve seals. So even though I really don't need it, when I saw it advertised on Craigslist I couldn't resist. Craigslist can be pretty addictive that way

Anyways, to ad something to the subject. I sold the VX and now have a 1991 CRX HF so I can compare the both. I'd say the VX is definitely more practical because it has the back seat, but the CRX is more fun to drive. So i guess the choice depends on wether you drive alone a lot and obviously also on what is offered. Either car is not offered that often anymore, because owners are holding on to it with the gas prices the way theya re going and I would jump on either if you see a good condition Civic VX or CRX HF.
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Not to take anything away from Soletek (because I think his setup sounds fantastic), but wasn't there a guy on this board who had a 2nd gen CRX HF (88-91) with the Civic VX engine & HF trans? I still remember pictures of it with the front of the car sitting an extra 1-2 inches higher due to the supposed weight difference with the (lighter?) VX engine. Was I hallucinating? Where did that car go? I was dying to hear the final curb weight of it, as well as how much more MPG it would get. If anyone knows who that car belonged to, please drop a name. I hate when these projects just disappear.
That was probably my car. 88 HF with a VX engine and HF trans. The weight difference was because the car is STRIPPED. The last time I corner weighted it, it came in at about 1480 lbs with 1/2 tank of gas. I have the car on "lowering" springs now and it sits at about stock ride height. My MPG has been holding in the mid 70's. On thing I have noticed, is that I've had the same tires for about 3 years now, put over 20k miles of them, and have only lost 1-2 32nds of tread depth. Gotta love light cars!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #27
Registered Member

Does the VX engine bolt right up to the HF tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger View Post
That was probably my car. 88 HF with a VX engine and HF trans. The weight difference was because the car is STRIPPED. The last time I corner weighted it, it came in at about 1480 lbs with 1/2 tank of gas. I have the car on "lowering" springs now and it sits at about stock ride height. My MPG has been holding in the mid 70's. On thing I have noticed, is that I've had the same tires for about 3 years now, put over 20k miles of them, and have only lost 1-2 32nds of tread depth. Gotta love light cars!
Does the VX engine bolt right up to the HF tranny?
Did you have to do massive rewiring to make it work?

Thanks

avrfan is offline   Reply With Quote