Custom Gear Machining - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
*shrug*

Custom Gear Machining

Thinking about this for a scooter I'm looking at buying (Honda Metropolitan). I want to gear it higher so I can increase the speed a bit and keep it from wearing out as quickly. Any ideas what this would cost?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
*shrug*

Darin?

Old 04-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Mmm, why not reply in the thread?

So if I come to them with the desire for only a final gear that would be a stock replacement, you think it might run around 200? I've never worked with CAD but I would certainly for this project. I'm quickly becoming a scooter nut, I hope I win my auction on ebay (don't bid me out!)
Because I have 777 posts and I want to keep it that way! Neway, clean out your inbox! I already have a scooter, so no worries there. That $200 figure was just a guess, and it'll vary shop to shop, but yeah, as long as all they have to do is take a slab of metal and cut according to specs the costs should only be the metal plus a couple hours of labor. That being said, Google tells me that Honda Scooter uses some sort of CVT? Machining different pulleys should be easier than cutting gears, but there may be some practical lower limit for gearing given the size of the transmission.

Quote:
Q: What kind of transmissions do the Metro and Vino have?
A: They both have continuously variable automatic V-belt transmissions (also sometimes called a centrifugal clutch). They're twist and go, you don't shift. It's kind of difficult to describe in words how a V-belt transmission works, but essentially the gear ratio is constantly changing depending on the engine rpms so that the gear ratio is "optimal" at all times. There is no transmission fluid; it's done with pulleys and roller weights. The variator can be replaced for improved/altered performance; the roller weights will eventually become worn and need to be replaced.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
what years are you looking at?
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry, not too experienced with the machine shop rates. My only experience was with an acquaintance who runs one, and he discounted the work for the FS.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
*shrug*

This'll be a 2003 metropolitan. Originally looking for a ruckus, that's what I have my heart set on, but I'm hoping I can get a good metro fixer-upper deal and sell that to buy the ruckus.

It is a CVT, and I am a bit confused on how it works, but I do know that there is some sort of final gear as well as a gear se, which is often swapped between the metro and ruckus. The business with the variators does confuse me also quite a bit, but I'm thinking that if a "metro gear set increases ruckus gearing by 13%" than I can get a new final or something cut for the metro without worrying about what the variators are doing.

*shrug*
Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Howstuffworks has a cool demo. It's just a belt that fits between two sets of pulleys, and depending on how close the pulleys are, the gear ratio on the input or output end changes.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
*shrug*

Yeah, I've read that CVT article, but take a look at the metro/ruckus tranny: http://battlescooter.proboards27.com...ead=1162498213
Old 04-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
check out
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_select.asp

look under honda scooters, and 2003 ch50p, then under "driven face" it's a variable pitch pully belt drive, altho it's an extreamly commen design, it's not a very good one, it's the same design used on the honda elite, and that is slugish as hell almost compleatly due to this transmition design, but due to the laws in most states automatic transmitions are required for scooters, and mopeds, because of the fewer restrictions on operators licensing.
my main reason for disliking this belt drive is that you only have a 2hp engine.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote