Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Reasoning gone wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Check out the international truck on this website:

http://www.martysblueroom.com/

It was at a party I was at the other day. I dont know the model it was but I do know it cost him $190 to fill it the last time.
The original reason for the Semi/Family Truck was to haul heavy loads on a regular basis, such as a 5th wheel RV (of which, many retired people sell their homes and buy such a setup). Instead of having a "Pusher" all-in-one Motor Home which could break down your house, essentially, this one can be detached and drive around town (like the ol' folks and the cars they pull). International Truck and Engine was the first in collaboration with Ford to build the behemoth - a modded F-650 with an International powerplant I think. But the trend took a turn they probably were expecting -- bling. Now GMC is in the market with similarly-sized trucks.

I was thinking of getting a Peterbuilt to take the In-laws to dinner. Twin-stacks, sleeper cab, the works.

RH77

Good grief people.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
Registered Member

pick-up trucks are so much bigger now than even 10 years ago, also way higher off the ground.
the car companies are in a war to see who can make the biggest, least efficient piece of poo.

i was trying to park at the grocery store the other day, and some dork in a giant ford 350 (bright white and shiny no less) was trying to park this bohemoth and failing miserably.

there should be a law, if you arent' going to use a truck for utilitarian purposes- then you can't have one.
and also another law- if you can't properly operate such a large vehicle- then you can't have one.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMetry
Unfortunatly the GM diesels of the late 70s early 80s left a very bad impression. In the US diesel cars are like heat pumps, the crap that was sold when the idea was first floated was so poorly designed and built that everyone that ever owned one told everyone they knew never to get one. So if natural gas is available no HVAC guy is going to try and sell you a heat pump even though they are at least 3 times as efficient, and no car company is going to invest millions trying to sell diesels in the US. I've heard that even Smart Cars will only be available with gasoline engines in the US.
GM really ****ed it up for us and Diesels. I think it was their plan, really. I've covered this at length earlier -- the United States needs to grow some balls and take some risks.

RH77
Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #14
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Ooo, I want a Canyonero.

edit: anyone remember the ad in a Simpsons episode?:
"Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Hey, hey!
Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,
Sixty five tons of American pride!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
She blinds everybody with her super high beams
She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' drivin' machine
Canyonero! Canyonero! Canyonero!
Whoa, Canyonero! Whoa!"