Dealer Takes a big Crap on Diesel - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Dealer Takes a big Crap on Diesel

So, I drove past the Jeep dealer tonight, to see if they had any Jeep Liberty CRDs (diesel) in stock to drive (I don't want to buy one, just to see what they've come up with).

The salesman said that unless I was serious about buying one, the dealer would have to outright buy one or trade rare models to get one. I said I just wanted to drive it. I expressed interest that cars like the Caliber should be offered with a Diesel -- he said that it already got "great" gas mileage and comes in AWD, blah-blah. I fired back that the Neon got better mileage, and was a big seller in the early years. He answered that no plans to bring something smaller (other than the SMART) is on the books.

Then he introduced me to the sales manager. This is where I about lost it. I told him that I thought clean diesel tech was going to become popular like hybrids, and that Daimler-Chrysler should capitalize on that. He quipped that if mileage was what I was looking for he had this, that, and the other. I told him that I get a combined 30 mpg in my TSX and 31 in an old Integra (he looked shocked). I pushed the idea of Diesels in cars, and he almost lectured me on how people aren't going to pay a $3000 premium on something that won't recoup itself until 7 years, and he doesn't want that (expletive) on his lot. He tried to sell me a Charger that gets 29 mpg highway. Right ***.

I shot back with the fact that people are paying top dollar for Hybrids and it would be a good idea to offer Diesel in a car of some sort. He said they wouldn't sell. Counter-Attack: So the Liberty CRDs that are flying off of the lot and are hard to get won't sell? He had no answer. I said that it wasn't all price, people are getting conscious about emissions too, and he looked at me like a freak. If they want to screw themselves that's fine, but it's a damn shame that it seems to be the corporate structure at D-C. Grrrr!

RH77

Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Driving on E

I've decided today that car salespeople are completely clueless. I'll start my own thread about this one.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Car Salesmen are not "Car People"

You're right Matt, car salesmen only give 2-sharts about $$$ -- and learning nothing in the process. The most evil are the Sales Managers

RH77 "Fightin' the (Sales) Man"
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

It doesn't matter if they are selling carpets or cars. A salesman is a sales man.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Arguing with a saleaman is like getting into a pissing-match with a skunk.

or...

Don't mud wrestle with a pig. You'll get all muddy and the pig likes it.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
Arguing with a saleaman is like getting into a pissing-match with a skunk.

or...

Don't mud wrestle with a pig. You'll get all muddy and the pig likes it.
Yeah, I don't know why I did it -- like the customer comments are actually going to make it to corporate. Only sales do.

RH77
Old 09-06-2006, 05:01 AM   #7
Tuggin at the surly bonds

also, the sales staff of any $tealership is there to sell what they have. So long as they think you just might buy something, they'll never concede that you should look at ANYTHING other than what is on their lot at that moment in time.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
also, the sales staff of any $tealership is there to sell what they have. So long as they think you just might buy something, they'll never concede that you should look at ANYTHING other than what is on their lot at that moment in time.
Exact-a-mundo. So much for planning for their future business. Just let corporate handle that . I passed the dealer again today and saw rows of Jeep Commanders and Grand Cherokees collecting dust. (insert evil laugh here). Even on the Dodge side, no Calibers to speak of just Rams and Durangos. Yeah, I'll take the Dodge SRT-10 Truck (6 city/10 hwy on a good day). I can haul more stuff in my Integra, while that just hauls arse.

RH77
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
SRT/10 truck- is there anything stupider on wheels?

If you want to go fast, why drag three tons of dead weight around with you?

That's what V-Max motorcycles are for!

Check out the international truck on this website:

http://www.martysblueroom.com/

It was at a party I was at the other day. I dont know the model it was but I do know it cost him $190 to fill it the last time.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

Unfortunatly the GM diesels of the late 70s early 80s left a very bad impression. In the US diesel cars are like heat pumps, the crap that was sold when the idea was first floated was so poorly designed and built that everyone that ever owned one told everyone they knew never to get one. So if natural gas is available no HVAC guy is going to try and sell you a heat pump even though they are at least 3 times as efficient, and no car company is going to invest millions trying to sell diesels in the US. I've heard that even Smart Cars will only be available with gasoline engines in the US.

GeoMetry is offline   Reply With Quote