Decided to grab the bull by the horns, gettin' a scooter - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Maybe I should get the old Riva out of storage...

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I saw one being tailgated really close today in a 45mph zone. There was no reason for it as it was ahead of me entering the highway and turned left downhill to another red light. The scooter had to get into the left lane to get to the turning lane into the gas station. People are just mean when smaller vehicles are around them.

Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MiddleMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
I saw one being tailgated really close today in a 45mph zone. There was no reason for it as it was ahead of me entering the highway and turned left downhill to another red light. The scooter had to get into the left lane to get to the turning lane into the gas station. People are just mean when smaller vehicles are around them.
Yep. It's like they absolutely seeth hatred sometimes. Bicyclers, scooter riders, even Prius owners, tend to take an inordinate amount of crap from the "I'm entitled to get 8mpg!" minded drivers on the roads.

People would do a lot better in life as individuals and as a collective if they'd stop being so pre-occupied with being mad at the choices others make, imo.

Vino 125cc owner here, btw (and a Boulevard motorcycle as well). Love that little scooter, even though I look kinda weird driving it since I'm a 6'3" guy. But hey, 80mpg is 80mpg.
MiddleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieTurbo View Post
Maybe I should get the old Riva out of storage...

do it ! These are so cheap to fix, I bet that thing have years of life ahead

I'm currently looking at Honda Ruckus'es(?) as my next scoot, they are 4 strokes and supposely get a pretty solid 100 MPG, though it's a little bit slower and only sit one (big downside).

And yea, people need to share the road a little more, tailgating a 2 wheel from a couple feet is different than tailgating a car.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
I saw one being tailgated really close today in a 45mph zone.
Honestly, people like that make me so mad I'd probably come to a stop buy that guy and slash a tire on his car right before the light greens... I got the Rebel this weekend so maybe I should leave the knife at home now? lol
Old 06-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #16
QDM
Registered Member

I'd be tempted to rig a spray can of paint remover or brake fluid aimed toward the rear that could be activated with a cable.

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
And yea, people need to share the road a little more, tailgating a 2 wheel from a couple feet is different than tailgating a car.
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I often stay behind them in the 45mph zones just so they can make it to the next turn without being hit. Usually they aren't going very far. Maybe a 1/4 mile before back on city streets where they can run the speed limit. I did get close ( about 3 feet)at the first traffic controlled light because I don't think it's heavy enough to trip the light.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #18
Site Team

I looked at these and was all gung-ho until I looked at the purchase price! For $6-8k for a new one, it would be a LOT of commutes before I made up the difference. I'd have to do a payback schedule to be certain, but since I can only use it with good-enough weather, it would probably be many many years before it pays for itself.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
I looked at these and was all gung-ho until I looked at the purchase price! For $6-8k for a new one, it would be a LOT of commutes before I made up the difference. I'd have to do a payback schedule to be certain, but since I can only use it with good-enough weather, it would probably be many many years before it pays for itself.
$ 6-8K For what a vespa maybe but you a 50cc NEW is less than 3k, for a 125cc (a vino) 3.6k new.

For $ 6-8K you actually get a nice Honda reflex 250cc that is pretty much a small motocycle with the style of a cruiser (2 seats, adjsutable suspension, 3 transmission mode (a sport one!). These things go on the interstate easily. Yamaha also offered a 400cc that is pretty much like the relfex. I added the picture of the yamaha.

Its good and all for the price, the MPG, the inssurance price (because its a scooter) but the only thing I dislike its that you actually need to have your motocycle license, and I do not have them! It would cost me about 600-700$. Anyway I would have money for one now so I'm just waiting to make up my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_YP400_VRC1_1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1114  
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post

Ugh what? lol, the scooter like mine is about 2200-2400 $ US new depending on the offers. If you want a 1 seater like teh Honda Ruckus or Yamaha C3 / Vino they are even cheaper. A brand new Kawasaki Ninja 250 which is a nice sporty bike won't even tip the 5000$ scale and gets nice MPG. But you probably want the bigger machines eh?

Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote