Diamondlarry and Additives - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Diamondlarry and Additives

Diamondlarry I noticed in your gas log that you stopped additives to test the new stuff and your FE improved. Were you running Acetone and GP-7?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
FE nut

Re: Diamondlarry and Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
Diamondlarry I noticed in your gas log that you stopped additives to test the new stuff and your FE improved. Were you running Acetone and GP-7?
I was running the following: Torco(2.5cc/10gal), FFT(1oz/10gal), Ethos(1oz/10gal), acetone(2oz/10gal), xylene(1oz/10gal), Techron(2oz/10gal). With so much stuff it was hard to tell what was what. The increase in mileage could have been because of stopping the additives but our temperatures have also went from highs in the 20's and 30's up to 40's and 50's. Also, we were supposed to get summer blend gas back on April 1st. I'm going to wait until near the end of April before I begin testing additives again. I will also be more careful to add additives in a more controlled manner. It's possible that my combination of additives was hurting my mileage.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I been running

Ok, thanks. I been running the same mix of Acetone and Torco and really can't tell the difference but am continuing because of mods that I've done and wanted to keep it constant and to keep the engine clean. After this tank I'm going to stop additives also for 2 or 3 tank loads and see what affect it has.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

i have been using a mixture

i have been using a mixture of 2 oz acetone, 1/4 oz gp-7, and 1/4 oz techron per 10 gallons. In my Nissan Sentra i have gotten just over 38 mpg, but usually in the high 37's (37.66 mpg last time). That is half highway, half city. EPA rating for my car is 32 mpg so that is an increase of 17.68%. I have not gotten into the modifications yet except for hot air intake.
I have been experimenting for about 7 months with some different mixtures and so far this has been the most effective for me.
benhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Re: i have been using a mixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhuey
i have been using a mixture of 2 oz acetone, 1/4 oz gp-7, and 1/4 oz techron per 10 gallons. In my Nissan Sentra i have gotten just over 38 mpg, but usually in the high 37's (37.66 mpg last time). That is half highway, half city. EPA rating for my car is 32 mpg so that is an increase of 17.68%. I have not gotten into the modifications yet except for hot air intake.
I have been experimenting for about 7 months with some different mixtures and so far this has been the most effective for me.
Did you come up with the formula yourself or get it from someone else?

No offense, but to be really confident that the formula is the reason for your improved gas mileage you'd need to do a test of both fuel with and without the additives on the same test loop under the same conditions at the same speed.

I'd love to find a formula that wouldn't cost too much and would improve my mpg without hurting my engine or emmissions systems, but the only way to really know if it works is with the same test run before and after.
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

cheapybob, Your concerns

cheapybob,
Your concerns are absolutely legitimate, I had the same. Techron and acetone are good for emissions. Torco gp-7 will lube the fuel system, keeping gas out of your motor. I also have a good ester lubing my motor oil so that is keeping seals conditioned on that end. Lube fuel, lube motor and you don't have gas getting into the motor to cause problems, more gas will burn in the combustion chamber and less in the motor. Keep looking into it.
The very best mileage i got without additives last summer in July/August was 35 MPG, in the cold of winter I got 30 MPG with out additives.
I have tried some differing amounts of acetone, xylol, lucas fuel additive, techron ect. Through experimenting i came to this formula. I have looked into what a lot of other people have been doing and and drawn from their input and experience, but the formula is mine from my own experimentation.
I am really confident that the formula plays a big part in the mileage cause i have the same driving style and conditions, driving the same route to work and back for almost a year now. I had plenty of time driving without additives to know what MPG my car gets in what conditions. I just got 38.84 MPG on today's fill up with an EPA of 32 for part highway part city; that's 21.37% over the EPA rating.
i really hope this helps

benhuey is offline   Reply With Quote