Did I speak too soon? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #21
Registered Member

Is it supercharged or naturally aspirated? I used to have a 1997 Grand Prix with the 3.8 supercharged engine, and would regularly see 31-32 mpg on highway trips without trying. The supercharged cars had a 2.93 final drive ratio compared to the NA's 3.29, so I guess that helps when you are not getting on it all the time.

Edit: Just read that you were going to Berkeley Springs, WV. I used to live there! A nice little town, and tons to do in that area if you are into outdoorsy type stuff. Head down to Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods (a few hours away) if you are going to be there a while. Beautiful area.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

I don't believe it is a supercharged model.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Well, we went today. I didn't drive. My friend insisted on driving. I now know why he gets such poor mileage. Driving 80 MPH through mountain passes is not only bad for FE, but its also dangerous and scary for your passengers. He would then speed up to prevent people from passing him, then slow down when they could no longer pass. To make matters worse, he would then get upset whenever he saw others driving as he did, and blamed it on their SUV's. I have determined that I will never ride with him driving again. It is just too scary.

-Jay

Old 08-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Well, we went today. I didn't drive. My friend insisted on driving. I now know why he gets such poor mileage. Driving 80 MPH through mountain passes is not only bad for FE, but its also dangerous and scary for your passengers. He would then speed up to prevent people from passing him, then slow down when they could no longer pass. To make matters worse, he would then get upset whenever he saw others driving as he did, and blamed it on their SUV's. I have determined that I will never ride with him driving again. It is just too scary.

-Jay
Sounds like he forfeited the contest. He must have figured if you drove it would take much longer to get there because you were going to be driving slower for FE. You should make him buy you lunch.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #25
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, but driving the speed limit my GPS calculated the trip would only take 2 hours. I'm shocked he doesn't have a huge pile of speeding tickets.

-Jay

Old 08-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post

-Jay
I am dissapointed. I wanted to hear about you actually getting 30mpg with the park avenue.

Sounds like a relative of mine that I do not ride with either..
Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, well that was the first time I have ever gone more than a mile or 2 with him driving. In the past if we went anywhere we always took my truck because it usually involved hauling or picking up something big. I was excited about the prospect of showing him how good that car can do, but he's perfectly content driving the car the way he does and getting 24 MPG.

I was scared at times with him going as fast as he was, and he really wasn't doing a good job of keeping the car in its own lane. When it came time for him to parallel park I just closed my eyes and told him to tell me when it was over.