Ditching the A/C compressor in 100-105 degree heat and 100% humidity?? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ditching the A/C compressor in 100-105 degree heat and 100% humidity??

I was thinking of getting rid of my AC compressor altogether from my 92 Protege since it is broken, but it is TOOOOOO hot in the DC summers.

Sorry, but cracking the windows 1 inch all the way around just won't cut it.

I can't stand the heat!

I was thinking of running some tubes into the interior to get some air into the interior, but not sure if it is doable and practical.

FYI - Turning the HVAC control to fan is nowhere near acceptable either.

I have had a thermometer in the AC vent during the summer and it has read 180-185 degrees.

Leaving the windows open doesn't cool things down to a comfortable level either.

I am forced to drive with my windows down all the way on the highway and i am confident that it is sucking more gas.

I am thinking about just getting a junkyard compressor in there and recharging the ac myself, but I don't want to go through the money on this beater.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I am forced to wear business casual to work. I could go to work with a tee shirt and shorts then change, but it is still too hot here!

Thanks

Thicker 2 row radiator, walmart hubcaps, Pepboys tires, 10w 30 Castrol HM, Jensen CD player, Roadmaster speakers, ebay hi-flow air filter, autolite 3924 plugs, stant superstat, NGK blue 8mm wires, LeBra car bra, no Exhaust Manifold heat shield, MX-3 Seats, bad A/C compressor
jj94auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

You could try these.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj94auto View Post
I am forced to drive with my windows down all the way on the highway and i am confident that it is sucking more gas.
I only saw a 1.8% FE decrease with both windows rolled down in my car on the highway @ 50mph. 1.8% decrease really isn't much at all. Also, do you have your rear windows tinted? It does wonders for lowing cabin temperature.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

It matters where you live but Some states alow you to have tint on the front door windows. Some allow darker than others. Here in Arizona the police don't bother you about the front tint usally. I put 5% tint on my cars, door windows, even a 6 inch strip at the top of the windshield! the more the better. As long as the car moving it is fine. stoplights suck though.

I try to always bring Icewater with me, and that makes a big differnce. Also as long as you aren't thinking about the heat, it's not bad at all
Old 04-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

100% humidity? Get A/C! I'm o.k. w/ up to ~110-120, but that's with next to no humidity....
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

There's gotta be a way to make a seat cover that has those blue ice packs all over it... make it cover the whole bottom and about halfway up the back. You could put it in the freezer at work during the day... Just thinking out loud... OR, make a vest with ice packs in it.

Also, drinking freezing cold water will help some.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Cold Vest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
There's gotta be a way to make a seat cover that has those blue ice packs all over it... make it cover the whole bottom and about halfway up the back. You could put it in the freezer at work during the day... Just thinking out loud... OR, make a vest with ice packs in it.

Also, drinking freezing cold water will help some.
The vest is a great idea...

For medical patients with temperature sensative diseases (i.e. Muscular Dystrophy) a vest is available that pumps cool or warm water through the vest. They're rather expensive, but I suppose you could rig-up something similar with a small pump, some tubes, and a reservoir.

RH77
Old 04-29-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
Supporting Member

You could make a cooler based air conditioner. Basically its a cooler full of ice with a fan on top. Windows down is generally always cheaper than a/c on.

How about an 800watt inverter connected to a high effeciency 5000btu a/c in the trunk. Some of them draws as little as 5amps 110v.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #9
Registered Member

oh its not that bad i live in IL, same temps same humidity. both my cars were made without ac, you dont relaly need it. and roll the windows all the way down! ac vs windows down, ac is always going to kill your mpg...

set the fan on high blasting thru the vents right at your face(wait a few aseconds so the hot air that was in the vents can escape) and have the windows all the waty down. get one of thsoe silver accordian style sun shades and always put it in your windshield makes a world of difference! also window tint helps ALOT! ive had to do this for several summers and its not bad. yes stuck in traffic does suck but ac is for wimps!
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
Supporting Member

i want to invest in some tint also because it seems to help a ton in my friends cars