do hyundai accents have DFCO? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

do hyundai accents have DFCO?

wondering if anyone knows if my '04 hyundai accent has DFCO and if anyone knows of any good links on how to use it properly...i've been coasting in neutral mostly, staying off the brakes as much as possible. what would be better? coasting out of gear or making use of DFCO? i'd assume that coasting down a large hill would be better but resorting to DFCO instead of brakes for shorter coasts better...

Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

It would seem that pretty much anything that has a cat has it in some form.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Use DFCO whenever you need to slow down. Try to use the least amount of brakes possible. Use DFCO to keep your downhill speeds at a safe level.

When you are idling you are using fuel. With DFCO it is the same as turning the engine off, without the hassle.

regards
gary
Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure Hyundais are the exception in that they do NOT have DFCO. A guy at CleanMPG has a 2002 and tested it and it does not.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

well that sucks any way i can figure out if i have DFCO without wiring lights into my injectors?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The wiring isn't too hard, and you don't even have to splice or cut any wires. You can simply tap it at the connector by sneaking a small wire into the connection. Disconnect the connector, stick the wire in the female terminal, and reconnect.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Registered Member

here is another way to test it. no hardware required.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4248

Quote:
Be careful with this test as you may lose Power Steering and Power Brakes during it! Choose the right time and location to perform the test.

On any level or slightly downhill road get up to at least 40 MPH, then start engine braking by keeping the vehicle in gear and letting all the way off the throttle while keeping the clutch disengaged (MT) or keeping the transmission in a gear lower than D (AT). Notice the deceleration force and the sound of the engine.

Now tun off your ignition (This is where you may lose your PS/PB, so be wary!) and watch for any harsher deceleration or change in the pitch of the engine for a few seconds.

If nothing was any different with the ignition turned off then your vehicle uses DFCO. If it decelerated at a different rate or pitch with the ignition off then it does not use DFCO. Do not forget to start your engine back up!
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I forgot about that test. When trying it, be sure you're on a long descent, and let it stay in engine braking for a while. My truck takes 8 seconds of engine braking before it will DFCO, so if I did that test and only waited 5 seconds I would never know...but OTOH at 8 seconds delay, DFCO is pretty useless anyway.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

hm...i think i'll wire in a temporary light to figure it out. don't have the balls to shut the car off going down a hill
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 AM   #10
Registered Member

so some good news - i tried the turning the car off test going downhill last night and it seems that my hyundai has DFCO! whats more is there doesn't seem to be much of any delay in it either...couldn't hear any different noise when coasting downhill in gear with engine on or off.

for anyone else that might be thinking about this, this goes for the 1.6L beta engine. don't know about the 1.5 alpha or the 1.6 beta2 in the newer ones.