Do I get credit? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Wink Do I get credit?

So this morning I was driving in to work on my usual route. As I was driving along in the right lane I noticed a red light up ahead. This particular stop light has no dedicated right turn lane, only two regular lanes and a left turn lane. A large number of vehicles make a right turn at this light but I was going to go straight. I realized I was going to be the first person at the light in the right lane. So, as it usually does just from being a semi-polite driver, it occurred to me that I should move to the left lane so the drivers wishing to make a right turn can proceed without waiting for me to get out of their way. As I did this it also occurred to me that I was not only being polite but SAVING GAS. By not making them wait for me I was not forcing the right turners to idle behind me waiting for the light to change? So, my question. Can I get credit on my MPG for the gas I saved in their cars?

n8marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I gotta give you a on this one. I HATE when people get into the right lane because there are less cars just so they can get ahead making the 5-6 cars behind them idle at the light. Especially a couple lights around here that are very long.

One example is a two lane road that goes to 3 lanes about 100 feet before an intersection, instead of just letting that be a turning lane until after the light, people that want to go straight cut into that lane.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

In my book you get credit as a courteous driver even though it won't add to your gas log. As hypermiler, there are some instansous where we can create more traffic for people who do not think the way we think when they drive. I think hypermilers should include in their philosophy of driving a certain humility towards others on the road. Some of our practices may not only add danger to us but others as well since they do not think the way we think. For example I Pulse and Glide when I can but if I see a decent amount of cars (especially semi's) coming up in my rear view I keep a constant speed till they pass.

Regardless what you did should be common courtesy whether a hypermiler or not. It actually reminds me of what my school bus driver use to do on one of the main roads on our route. She would pull over and wave the line of cars behind us past a few times on the route so they wouldn't get stuck behind us on our trip.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I totally agree with both replies.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Site Team

We'll give you a gold star! That is good "team driving". Just remember that when OTHER people save gas, the price/gallon of YOUR gas goes down too (think supply & demand).

There is an intersection near me where the same thing happens, but occasionally someone will get over to the right and then go straight (cutting me off) when the light turns green. Makes me boil!

Of course I boil when Hummers pass me belching out smoke at 85 MPH, while I'm in the right lane doing 60 (again, think laws of supply & demand). I know they are thinking "I'm the one wasting gas so that doesn't affect you" but actually it does affect me. (insert red smiley face with smoke coming out of his ears here)

-Bob C.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8marx View Post
So this morning I was driving in to work on my usual route. As I was driving along in the right lane I noticed a red light up ahead. This particular stop light has no dedicated right turn lane, only two regular lanes and a left turn lane. A large number of vehicles make a right turn at this light but I was going to go straight. I realized I was going to be the first person at the light in the right lane. So, as it usually does just from being a semi-polite driver, it occurred to me that I should move to the left lane so the drivers wishing to make a right turn can proceed without waiting for me to get out of their way. As I did this it also occurred to me that I was not only being polite but SAVING GAS. By not making them wait for me I was not forcing the right turners to idle behind me waiting for the light to change? So, my question. Can I get credit on my MPG for the gas I saved in their cars?
Great idea, but hard to measure. But really, we're all in this together. Weather we like it or not. we all have an effect on gas prices, demand, etc. I say thumbs up. I TRY to drive like that also.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
(insert red smiley face with smoke coming out of his ears here)

-Bob C.
Something like this???

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

My post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek but I've always driven that way. Just now got thinking about the gas angle. Courteousness, in driving and other facets of life, isn't that difficult and I find it destressing. Then again, maybe I'm just and old fashioned old fart in a 34 year old body. I think it must be hard to go through life being a prick all the time. Lots of them around here and they never look very happy. If being polite also helps to save some gas then I gas that's just a good bonus.

n8marx is offline   Reply With Quote