Does air ever get trapped in the gas tank? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
California has the best gas dispensers. It seems they have by law all gas pumps requiring these really nice fume trappers on the nozzle dispensers. Very satisfying and nice to fill up in California as compared to other states like neighboring Nevada which has no fume guard at all.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The same fume guard is universal in RI/MA/CT...I rarely encounter a pump without one and I figure that one broke off.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Hummm filled up today in Somerset Hess took 9.850 gallons without spilling any, I think it was full but I'm not sure. The thing is, it will take 10 gallons exactly if the low fuel light is on and it was not on at all so I have a hard time believing I had an accurate fill up. I did pump it slow and it only auto-shutoff once ... After that I pump about 0.2 gallons at a time then wait for it to flow into the tank. My filler pipe has an anti surge flapper valve as it goes into the tank a few feet below the filler cap and that's what slows the release of the Air and the inlet of gasoline into the tank. Will know when I come down to the full mark if I got the last 2 gallons in this time ... ScanGuage says I used 8.02 gallons since the last fillup. Hummmmm that should be about right.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The same fume guard is universal in RI/MA/CT...I rarely encounter a pump without one and I figure that one broke off.
I live in massachusetts and the fume guard isn't nearly as nice as it is in California. But, yeah, at least the pumps have them.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I live in massachusetts and the fume guard isn't nearly as nice as it is in California. But, yeah, at least the pumps have them.
Does California have the one that's like a bellows that compresses for a good seal? I don't see those often, usually just the rubber mushroom ones.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I guess they only suck in the fumes at a rate equal to the fuel coming out because I got a whiff of the gas going in my tank yesterday and I don't hear any air sucking noise when I am filling the tank.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
Registered Member

We got good old style polluting ones here all the bellows do is prevent vapor pollution.
Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Does California have the one that's like a bellows that compresses for a good seal? I don't see those often, usually just the rubber mushroom ones.
Yes, that sounds about right. They are pretty hardcore. It's really cool; almost makes me want to move to California just for the nozzle seals. So satisfying and reassuring.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #19
Registered Member

Those aren't unknown in MA, try some different gas stations and you should find one with them. I'll try to remember this thread the next time I encounter one.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
Registered Member

We have the bellows around here.

Of course, now that new cars have their own vapor recovery systems, there is talk of phasing these pumps out.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote