Does anyone know where to get a . . . - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Does anyone know where to get a . . .

I have a 1986 Honda CRX HF Federal Version that uses a five-wire O2 sensor Part # 36531-PE1-A02. American Honda responded with their favorite phrase: "That part has been discontinued." I have also checked all the parts retailers on line, including Majestic Honda of the South Bay, who does list the one I need, but doesn't have the item.

My question: Does anyone know where one might be found? OR, Does anyone know of another five-wire that might be modified without damaging this vehicle's ECU? Has anyone out there modified a five-wire O2 sensor successfully, and/or, Does anyone have information on the voltage parameters and internal connections of a five-wire?

This sensor has the smaller thread pattern than the five-wire sensors of today, but I can get past this since I already picked up a large thread pattern exhaust manifold off a 1986 that had the one-wire O2 sensor. If I could find out the wiring connections and voltages, I feel I can modify one to fit the purpose.

Thanks for any help!

soletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

Go to autozone.com or partsamerica.com Iwas researching a swap and to the best of my recolection they both have a bosch version that uses your old connector. They are to large chains on the east coast. I ordered stuff from them when I lived in Alaska for a while.

seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

i just checked the site and their part number is 13246. That would be autozone.com by the way
Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

5-wire O2 sensor (LAF) needed

Thanks, but the sensor at autozone is for a VX with the eight pin connector, not the split loom that I have which has three wires into one connector and two wires into another connector. Number 13246 also has the larger thread pattern. My '86 CRX HF sensor is the small thread pattern.

I really appreciate you spending the time to search for me.

If I knew where the wires went and that the parameters were the same for each O2 sensor I would just rewire it, but the Bosch tech to whom I spoke assured me that they weren't privy to the engineering information. So he had no answers.

I'm still looking.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...OXYGEN_SENSOR_
I did a google search and came up with this link. Do you have an HX engine or something cuz I remember reading your write up?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks seeodywhy

I looked at the link, which does display the correct 5-wire O2 sensor, but it's a Honda dealership and, again, they list it as discontinued.

The CRX with the VX engine is what my write-up was about. It is CRX HF to VX swap in the How to/DIY forum.

I also own a 1986 CRX HF Federal version that is the one with the 5-wire O2 sensor I am trying to find.

Thanks for the post.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

Re: Thanks seeodywhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletek View Post
I looked at the link, which does display the correct 5-wire O2 sensor, but it's a Honda dealership and, again, they list it as discontinued.

The CRX with the VX engine is what my write-up was about. It is CRX HF to VX swap in the How to/DIY forum.

I also own a 1986 CRX HF Federal version that is the one with the 5-wire O2 sensor I am trying to find.

Thanks for the post.
Did you ever get this resolved? I am facing the same issue with my 1987 CRX HF
sbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

Is this a lost cause?

I know, reviving a way, way old thread, but I am desperate. I'm wondering if anyone actually tried the Autozone 13246 sensor, and did it work? Or has anyone found another way to get an O2 sensor for the 1986 federal CRX HF. I desperately need to pass CA smog. I want to drive my little car.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

The 02 are the same you need to tap your exhaust to take the
Larger sensor. Use a pin out guide the vx 02 is only a 5 wire there is a resistor or something in the plug. It has been done by a few people. I know I read it before. Good luck. The vx sensor is a ntk 23400 I think l1h1
Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thanx Rusty94cx. I may consider trying that. I have read about a resistor in the plug. I've also read something about getting the correct resistance setting to get the correct voltage out to the ECU.

Another option I have considered is getting a wideband O2 sensor kit to enable adjusting the settings myself. I think I read of someone doing that. If I can get the information to set this up I may go that route if it will get me through the monster that is California smog testing.