does cold weather affect gas mileage? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
Registered Member

Could use a partial grill block so the engine warms up quicker?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Leaving the heater blower off until the engine warms does help the engine warm more quickly. In truly cold weather there is a hazard involved in leaving that motor off. If the defroster is turned on after the engine warms, the blast of hot air hitting the cold windshield has been known to crack the glass. Decades ago Americans stationed in Alaska were told to turn the defroster on as soon as they started the car, to avoid that very problem.
I cracked a windshield on a 1997 Pontiac kinda like that. I didn't wait until it was warmed up, I started it with the engine cold and fan on high then went back into the warm house until I could see that the ice on the windows was starting to melt. As soon as I touched it with the scraper it cracked.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #13
Registered Member

When cold enough that cracking the glass is a concern, I warm the cabin up by the dash vents first, or have the defroster on low fan and heat when the windshield is fogged up.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks, I will keep my fan on lowest speed till the car warms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Leaving the heater blower off until the engine warms does help the engine warm more quickly. In truly cold weather there is a hazard involved in leaving that motor off. If the defroster is turned on after the engine warms, the blast of hot air hitting the cold windshield has been known to crack the glass. Decades ago Americans stationed in Alaska were told to turn the defroster on as soon as they started the car, to avoid that very problem.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
cold air is denser requiring more fuel
Not to be a nit-picker, but it's the other way 'round- the same amount of fuel requires less air. So density doesn't have an effect. (But yes, many other factors do affect gas mileage in cold weather!)

Don't forget that many states require "winter blend". Here in Massachusetts, starting on September 15th I can predict about a 5% drop in MPG, all in the name of "emissions".
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
Not to be a nit-picker, but it's the other way 'round- the same amount of fuel requires less air. So density doesn't have an effect. (But yes, many other factors do affect gas mileage in cold weather!)

Don't forget that many states require "winter blend". Here in Massachusetts, starting on September 15th I can predict about a 5% drop in MPG, all in the name of "emissions".
I thought Jay was commenting on how cold, dense air takes more energy to push out of the way. In other words, increased drag.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
Not to be a nit-picker, but it's the other way 'round- the same amount of fuel requires less air. So density doesn't have an effect.
I'd say you're both wrong. Since modern cars mostly measure air by mass, it would be most accurate to say that it's the same mass of fuel and the same mass of air. (Granted, that air's volume is less.)