downgrading to an Insight - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member

I looked into used Insights and was very dispointed in what I found in 06. the cars had been driven hard and put up wet. Some had seen unforgiving teenage use.

It was at that point I went ahead and ordered a blue 06. Last of the run. My dealer busted arse to get one of the last ones in my name. But shortly after we did the deal. My oldist daughter had some major issues come up that required the money I was going to spend on my new mpg beast. So with regret I had to cancel the order. It still makes me mad to this day. I should have never bought the Civic..... grrrrr

I would not take one on a bet if it had bad cats, blown head gasket or a new engine. or salvaged engine. I still spy them out from time to time. Unless they are adult driven. The Insight doesn't age well. Its a delicate car. Even by Hondas standards.

I would keep the Fit myself. Or trade around for a Civic 8th gen Civic coupe. Or maybe a HCH1. I have seen some P1's for sale that looked real good.

Good Luck

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
I found a wrecked Insight in San Diego for $1790. Some body damage, but that's about it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/457099746.html

Too bad you're in Japan.
Pretty low, almost makes me wanna check it out.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Matt,

Just by paragraph size... It sounds like you're most interested in the third, engine replaced, option.

the first one - after the cat is replaced... is over the 7K budget. So immediatly cross this off the list.

The second one... unless shipping is under $500 total - cross it off the list. Sure the miles aren't that bad - but bad is part of the description.

You never said the base price for the third one... New battery is truly a plus - on top of very low mileage engine.

4th one....
Really depends on if the main chassis was compromised. Personally, I would walk away from that if it was (for any car). Simply because the structure is greatly dependent on the geometry. And you're competing (in a crash) with a larger car majority.... That's just me.

Otherwise, #4 sounds good if everything else checks out... Check your local laws for salvage titles and if your insurance will change as a result of a salvage title Just remember that fully restoring a salvage title is a PITA. Bumper cover, at least 1 fender, windshield, at least 1 headlight, cowling?.... Likely radiator support, hood hinge, perhaps driver's side suspension - does it even have the driver's front wheel and hub? It's a can of worms - and gets expensive quick. I say this from experience with my father's Element with very similar damage....

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

Keep looking?

It depends on how soon you need it...

It might come down to searching for something closer and in better shape.

But, the Insight's a good car. I've haven't heard much in the way of bad reviews on it. Only the obvious -- rougher ride and road noise. Otherwise, good on emissions and FE. If the pack/IMA system eventually craps out, the option exists to swap a non-hybrid system in there.

It's a good move -- timing might be the factor.

If you need help with transport, shoot me a PM. I'll be in LA in a couple weeks, or a relay group could be worked-out for other locations.

-Rick/RH77
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
Driving on E

The third option is favorable for me right now... for a number of reasons.

i'm not scared of the new engine, as it will be warrantied. The chasis also only has 89k on it, compared to the others with 130k on them. New batteries and IMA (according to the seller) makes it in much better shape than other options.

Oh, the base price is $5500. I wish there were a way to remove the carpool stickers that it comes with, as I could easily sell them on ebay for $2000. $5500 + 1350 for the engine puts me in at 6850. I can fly down to Socal and stay with my mother while the engine is swapped, and actually go to work as my office is in SoCal. I could then drive it home over a long day.

Oh yeah, the one in PA has 98000 miles, which makes it my second preference, regardless of the fact that it's slightly higher in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Matt,

Just by paragraph size... It sounds like you're most interested in the third, engine replaced, option.

the first one - after the cat is replaced... is over the 7K budget. So immediatly cross this off the list.

The second one... unless shipping is under $500 total - cross it off the list. Sure the miles aren't that bad - but bad is part of the description.

You never said the base price for the third one... New battery is truly a plus - on top of very low mileage engine.

4th one....
Really depends on if the main chassis was compromised. Personally, I would walk away from that if it was (for any car). Simply because the structure is greatly dependent on the geometry. And you're competing (in a crash) with a larger car majority.... That's just me.

Otherwise, #4 sounds good if everything else checks out... Check your local laws for salvage titles and if your insurance will change as a result of a salvage title Just remember that fully restoring a salvage title is a PITA. Bumper cover, at least 1 fender, windshield, at least 1 headlight, cowling?.... Likely radiator support, hood hinge, perhaps driver's side suspension - does it even have the driver's front wheel and hub? It's a can of worms - and gets expensive quick. I say this from experience with my father's Element with very similar damage....
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #16
*shrug*

Couldn't you just pull of the piece of the car with the HOV stickers and sell that?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
Registered Member

Matt: Thanks for the link. That looks like a pretty bad hit, and without more pictures I would be a little scared of buying it. Dunno how easy doors for that car are to source either. The windshield would be no biggy. As it was hit from the side though, there could be suspension and drive train issues. That, and as you mentioned, I am currently in Japan! Haha...
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #18
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Matt: Thanks for the link. That looks like a pretty bad hit, and without more pictures I would be a little scared of buying it. Dunno how easy doors for that car are to source either. The windshield would be no biggy. As it was hit from the side though, there could be suspension and drive train issues. That, and as you mentioned, I am currently in Japan! Haha...
I've actually found a salvage yard in southern california with two Insights in stock. The guy also told me that he has a Prius for sale for $9000 with 60k on it. THAT is tempting.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
I've actually found a salvage yard in southern california with two Insights in stock. The guy also told me that he has a Prius for sale for $9000 with 60k on it. THAT is tempting.
Still a big car though Kidding

NHW11 or NHW20?

If it's a 20... that's even more tempting But again, only if it's in the budget - remember the goal from your OP, debt cutting.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #20
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Still a big car though Kidding

NHW11 or NHW20?

If it's a 20... that's even more tempting But again, only if it's in the budget - remember the goal from your OP, debt cutting.
True true... debt cutting isn't everything though... if all I wanted to do was cut debt I would resurrect the the FrankenCivic, or buy a cheap VX somewhere. The Insight is desirable for a number of reasons though, including that it's my dream car.

Anyway... saving the $2k would be nice, especially since I don't need a sedan for the next few years.