DPFI Love. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
Registered Member

I am very happy with my HF tranny swap, but my 87 Civic DX 1.5 is carbed.

You will hate the HF tranny around town, but it pays off on the interstate- in both gas savings and engine noise reduction.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1 View Post
No need to unzip our pants and have a measuring contest. I'm just saying why get my hands dirty for nothing?
But it's so much fun Seriously, I wasn't trying to bag on you though. Just there are some things that aren't worth paying for. In my perspective, It's not worth spending $300+ per month on a car payment or shop fees in order to have a car saves me $100 per month in gas. So my solution was to buy a cheap beater and maintain/modify it myself. Since I have more than one car and a surplus of mechanical skills and enough spare time, those factors drive my decision more than average.

FWIW, my trans gearing will end up midway between the DX and HF if I'm not mistaken. I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds in terms a city/hwy compromise.

GasSavers_Hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
But it's so much fun Seriously, I wasn't trying to bag on you though. Just there are some things that aren't worth paying for. In my perspective, It's not worth spending $300+ per month on a car payment or shop fees in order to have a car saves me $100 per month in gas. So my solution was to buy a cheap beater and maintain/modify it myself.
I completely agree with you there... Unless I'm getting an incredible deal, I'll never buy a new or even nearly new car.

Quote:
But it's so much fun Since I have:
1. more than one car and
2. a surplus of mechanical skills and
3. enough spare time,
those factors drive my decision more than average.
1. I know enough people to help me out with #1 if my car is down.
2. I'll always be working on #2... all of us are!
3. My 18 month boy... I'll let you put two and two together

Quote:
FWIW, my trans gearing will end up midway between the DX and HF if I'm not mistaken. I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds in terms a city/hwy compromise.
I wonder how a dx 1st to 4th gears will do with an hf FD & 5th gear. I'm thinking this can be a great combo for my slightly huskier hatch opposed to a crx.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Registered Member

When I crunched the numbers, it hardly seemed worth the extra effort of swapping the HF 5th gear in (especially since I don't have it). I'm currently running with my stock DX engine and for all intents and purposes (with my current auto trans), it seems like I get the best FE at around 3200 rpm +/- when I'm under any kind of load at all. That means I'll be cruising in 4th most of the time and 5th will be reserved for those long flats and downhill sections of highway only. 5th gear with my tires will put me at about 2600 rpm at highway speeds.

GasSavers_Hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote