Driving to Alaska - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Driving to Alaska

I finished my HF to Z1 swap. The lean-burn works ok I guess. Is the car supposed to feel like its hesitating when in leanburn. Anyway, I am leaving tonight to drive to Alaska from Baltimore. I am going to keep a gaslog. I don't expect very much because of the cold weather. Along the way, I will try to keep you guys updated if I can. Thanks for the help. If I break down I might need some troubleshooting assistance.

seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

Where are you now? Hope all is well with you and Happy New Year. Alaska in the winter? Oh MY!

1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Right now I am in Winnipeg. I got stuck in minneapolis for a whole day because of the snow storm. I am having a little trouble with the car though. It ran fine when I left. I got about 50 mpg the first couple times I filled up. Then I got the dredded code forty eight when I got just outside chicago. Since I have only been getting 35 mpg. None of the parts stores in winnipeg are open to get a new sensor and I doubt they would have one in stock anyway. It wouldn't be so bad but the roads are icy, but the car is misfiring in leanburn now so I can't maintain one speed. It drops out of leanburn when I try to accelerate and lurches, which isn't a good thing on slippery canadian roads. I looked on car part.com and found that a place has a cx ecu. Does anyone know if the injectors are the same size as a vx. Cuz I will just change the ecu till I get to fairbanks.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Can I use a DX ecu.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Will it stay out of lean burn if you use a different gear?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

No, it won't. The only way to keep it out of lean burn is to keep it above 3000 rpm. I found a couple junkyards in the area with ecus from a cx and a dx. When the auto part's stores open tomorrow I'm going to check and see if they have the l1h1 but if not I was going to throw another ecu in till I get to where I am going. I was wondering which would be the better choice. Funny thing is that I have a DVM connected and judging from that thing the oxygen sensor seems to be working alright. I get more than 5 adjustments in ten seconds. It only misses in lean burn. If I try to use a different gear the second I go to maintain my speed it go into lean burn and I begin to lose speed. I step on the gas and it lurches forward. I am perpetually slowing down or speeding up.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

I stopped this morning and cleaned off the ignition rotor. As soon as I started the car after that it began throwing a code 12 and 48. I reset the ecu and the same codes came bake up. Since my gas mileage has increased. My next gas stop the mpg was 30.7, followed by 40.1, and then 47.3. What could explain this? This is with no drafting or anything else on completely flat land.