Dumb questions from a Newbie... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Red face Dumb questions from a Newbie...

Okay I know these aren't high tech or complicated questions so don't strain yourself, I just want to know one way or the other.
1. I have an automatic car does it shift based on the RPMs or speed?
2. I watch RPMs and try to keep them as low as possible. And don't make any fast stops or starts. What should be my next step to improve milage?
3. Is what I'm doing something that even makes sense?
4. Will coasting in neutral damage my (non-hybrid) car?
5. Does coasting in neutral help gas milage more then coasting in drive?

I just wanted to get a few basics straight before I tell my husband what I've been doing... he's a mechanic and I know he'll bring up a point I can't prepare for, but knowing for sure that I'm on the right track will help.
Thank you,
Shannon (slowmomma)

slowmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
*shrug*

1. RPM and load.
2. Try throwing it into neutral and coasting as much as possible.
3. It does
4. Nah
5. It really depends on the vehicle. I would say go for neutral.

The best thing you can do is buy a scangauge!

Good luck!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Im sure your husband will tell you shifting back into drive while at speed will hurt the transmission. A lot of people seem to think this. A lot dont... Who knows? For me, I get a substantial jerk when putting it back in drive, prompting me to not do this. If your car reacts fine, i say go for it.

A few days ago I hit it into reverse while doing around 25mph. My gear selection indicator doesnt work and I thought i was in drive, when i was actually in overdrive. oops hehehe
Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

see i drive only manual vhelchls daily. when i haev to drive an automatic once ina great while when im shifting i always fly past whatever gear i want... now so much on the floor shifter but the stering columb shifter...

so if your not used to "driving" automatic i wouldnt suggest doing it...

stupid auto trannys.... MANUAL FROEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Supporting Member

^^^^^ true dat i wish i had one!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
makes any car fun to drive no matter how slow or fast. fast is awesome with a manula tranny it annoys me when i go to auto shows and al these big time muscle cars have a auto tranny or these new corivettes with auto trannys...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Supporting Member

yeah my friends dad has a c5 vett with a auto, we still got it up to 165 but it would have been better with the manual i bet
Old 06-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
exactly!!

I love my Eagle, it has been a great car, but I'm so excited to get the 5 speed Mitsubishi fixed I can hardly wait Now all I have to do is master starting on our mountain inclines... that was the only thing I never was any good at.

Could be because the Festiva I was practicing on had a burned ring (something like that, i dont recall, but it smoked and required a lot of gas to start anyhow) and I had difficulty getting it going regardless of grade. either way, I'm so excited to be moving from auto to manual.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:22 AM   #9
Registered Member

With an automatic you need to drive with the the torque coverter(TC) locked up as much as possible. Learn the shift points. The TC will lock up somewhere around 40-45 and then stayed locked usually 5-7 MPH lower than that, depending on the car. So generally the slower the engine rpm the better the FE.

Puts on asbestos fire suit.

With an auto I think the coasting in "N" is overated. It really depends on how much engine braking(how quickly the car slows down) happen when in "N". If you need a long coast then go for it. but 90% of the time just foot off the accelerator will do it. In some cars coasting in "D" the fuel acutal shuts off(once certain perameters have been meet) so you're better off coasting in "D" the "N" depending on the car. Without a SG(scan gauge) it hard to tell about the fuel shutoff and on some cars the SG reads incorrectly anyway. With an automatic you're just limited more than a standard.

Best bets biggest bang:
Drive slower and get the TC lock up and drive at a speed just above that if possible.
Check tire pressures.
Make sure cars in tune, air filter, plugs, oil, etc.
Coasting as necessary in "D" or "N" depending on traffic but as stated above it really depends, just use a light foot. I wouldn't get carried away with the "N" coast unless you have a long way to go.
Engine off at stop lights.

You'll see a pretty big improvent with just that. Good luck and as alway YMMV.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bob View Post
A few days ago I hit it into reverse while doing around 25mph. My gear selection indicator doesnt work and I thought i was in drive, when i was actually in overdrive. oops hehehe
Sweet! I used to go from reverse to 1st at full throttle on purpose! Of course I was much younger, and most trannies will only do that a few times before they are toast. But still as a daily thing, I do NOT recommend neutral coasting in an automatic. However I drive a manual, so what do I know about automatics? I drove my womans car ~10 miles away, and back after resetting her FCD and got 32.7 for the trip. before I reset it, it read 26.4 wich is not too shabby for not even trying in a 2002 Monte Carlo SS (3.8l). Total trip was in drive...