E10 and the coming of winter blended gas - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Cool it until the alcohol freezes then filter it out.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Can someone explain to me the purpose of the winter blend?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

It is a more volatile mixture that vaporizes more easily in cold weather and ignites easier at a lower temperature to make starting easier. Ethanol is NOT easy to vaporize in cold weather so it should be an interesting winter.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
It is a more volatile mixture that vaporizes more easily in cold weather and ignites easier at a lower temperature to make starting easier. Ethanol is NOT easy to vaporize in cold weather so it should be an interesting winter.
What about emissions? I understand that there is a 5% decrease in FE and a pretty good reduction in the GHG except NOx with is increased by 3-5%. But if it's so good for the environment why don't they use it year round?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
Registered Member

Too volatile for the summer temperatures, that's the point, it's the winter blend for colder temperatures.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
Seriously, I don't know what y'all are getting so worked up about. We are talking about E10- it's ONLY 10% ethanol. For the love of God, Minnesnowtans (winter- often cold and severe- for six months out of the year) have been burning E10 for years and in fact E85- yes, 85% ethanol- gets used YEAR 'ROUND here, no problem.

And as I understand it, the energy conversion for ethanol isn't as dismal as it used to be. So what's your problem?
There is at least a perception that e10 gives you negative hit in MPG but costs the same a straight unleaded.

The epa rating on e85 vehicles clearly shows the hit there.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
And as I understand it, the energy conversion for ethanol isn't as dismal as it used to be. So what's your problem?
The problem is, when saving gas, EVERY PERCENTAGE COUNTS. People install grille blocks for 1%, LRR tires for 3%, HAI for 2%, for example, etc. If you start adding up the small stuff, that's where you start saving fuel. If you engine-off coast for 1/10 of a mile, it's perhaps a small amount of fuel saved. Do it 100 times, and you've saved a significant amount

It's the "Long Tail" effect. I-tunes sells more of the obscure one song downloads per month than they do the most popular 1000's-per-month. Picture a graph with the most popular downloads at the left, then decreasing to the right with the single-items. It produces a big chunk leftward curving down to a "long short tail". Collect all of those little-interest items, and it beats out the top sellers.

That's why we see it as a problem.

RH77
Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Trans cooler within radiator generally limited to automatics. Said cooler is quite small in capacity- I would guess one little squirt of warm fluid on start-up makes it to the tranny and that's about it.
True, but you can't dispute the power of the EBH -- it's proven. A warm squirt at first, yes, but if you cycle the fluid through an already-warm radiator, warm up is quicker. (and yes, it's for an automatic in this instance).

RH77
Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #19

Quote:
The FE hit from E10 isn't much. There is a FE penalty for E85 for engines not optimized for it, no doubt. Here, E85 costs less so often it's a wash.
Not realy a friend of mine has a Tahoe and said his mileage drops 20% when he runs E85. Around here E85 is only $.40 less than regular. So unless regular drops below $2.00 it is not worth it.
ron22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #20
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron22
Not realy a friend of mine has a Tahoe and said his mileage drops 20% when he runs E85. Around here E85 is only $.40 less than regular. So unless regular drops below $2.00 it is not worth it.
I'm curious to know how ANYONE can run E85 in a gasoline designed vehicle. E85 is 85% ethanol, and will definately damage your vehicle if it isn't designed to run it.

E85 should only be used in flex-fuel vehicles, or vehicles designed for ethanol.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote