Effect on Hill on Cold Temp Efficiency? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Effect on Hill on Cold Temp Efficiency?

I've been having a conversation about maybe getting an engine heater since my area has very cold winters. Since I live on a huge hill and can coast for almost 3.4 miles with little need for power (my last car didn't need any once I was out of the driveway) and the engine is warm enough to provide heat by then (I have no temp gauge), how bad do you think it realistically is? I don't drive much and will relocate soonish to a less frigid area, but the question seems interesting. Oh yeah, I keep the car in a garage and I turn to go downhill for almost all of my trips (greater than 95% easily). I don't turn the engine off (not quite comfortable with that yet) and it's a manual so I coast in neutral. So it is doing some cold running, just at very low levels

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

A block heater could help you with that...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

But would it save more than the cost & effort to put it in?

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
In previous threads, it was determined that they're cheap and easy to put in.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Yes, I've even seen block heaters that replace the dipstick. Its installed in seconds. Very easy.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
In previous threads, it was determined that they're cheap and easy to put in.
Yes, I saw those, but my special starting consideration changes things. A small amount of power put out during the cold part of running should be less wasteful than a large amount, I'd think, but my intuition isn't developed enough for this question to come to a final conclusion.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

In your situation I would use a block heater. You're already parking in your garage, so you probably have a convenient electrical outlet.

The downhill run gives you the chance for great mileage, but the cold engine running and warming up at idle uses much more fuel that it would idling when it was already warm.

I never let my engine warm up without using the fuel for moving the vehicle.
On a cold start you have oil pressure by the time the engine has run 1 second, as long as your oil filter has a check valve, which all of them should have by now.

It may be a tossup between cutting the engine off on your 3.4 mile downhill glide. It would just allow the engine to cool off again.

regards
gary
Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

I was thinking that pumping would heat things up, but I am in neutral! Of course! (hits head with hand) I might as well be sitting still, idling to warm it up; I just happen to be coasting instead. Well, now I can peruse the existing threads to see which type is best. Even if I'm moving somewhere warmer, if they're cheap enough and don't mess with my warranty I'll go for it. Thanks all.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
Registered Member

How warm is the garage?? If the garage is a lot warmer then outside, I would think you would be splitting hairs using a block heater. Ya, it will help, but how much?? Think you would be good off with some kinda grill block to reduce the heat loss through the rad during your warm up coast.

Frankly I think you would be better off heating the tranny in some way. Warmer trans fluid will allow it to spin with less resistence. Maybe set up one of those halagen work lites under the car to heat it up??? they put out GREAT heat [I use them for my tractors in the winter] and you can set them on a timer to come on a hour or two before you leave.

Just something to think about...

s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

I'm getting a car computer soon, so I'll have it for next winter. It shows cooling water temp, so I can track things. Since I drive such a consistent route and I keep a gaslog, I also have very good records of the winter miles I drive, so I can work out a good estimate of the number of trips. Then it's just a little math to see what I might save.

co de pen den cy