Electrical loads - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-31-2006, 05:40 PM   #11
Registered Member

the very reason why i never

the very reason why i never use my fan. I even set the themoerstat to "COLD" i notice the water temp rises faster when monitering it with the scangauge.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #12
Registered Member

man i wish i wasent working

man i wish i wasent working so i could read thease faster :P

yes as matt said, i replaced all the lights (even the little ones in the buttons) to leds. i like the "white" light they put out. mor of a blueish-white. evrey bulb in the car except for the headlights are leds. and i'll tell ya i gained bout 2 mpg. total was $135. start with the brake, turn signals, and backuplights to start out with as thease take the most current to run. look here

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

heres what they say about converting:
Quote:
Which Color LEDs should I use ?
For best results the LED color should be the same as the lens color. As an example: a red lens will filter out all but the red portion of the light so if the light is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a White LED contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum so most of the light would be filtered out by a red lens.

Turn signal issues with LED bulbs
LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store.*note dont get these. they dont work with hondas or toyotas. just FYI IMO.* Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.
Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

Dash indicators reporting burnt out bulbs
LED bulbs may cause some newer vehicles to indicate a bulb is burnt out (because of their low power consumption). Some cars indicate this by increasing the flash rate of the turn signals, some turn on a bad bulb indicator. The only fix for this is to install Load Resistors across the bulbs that are being indicated as bad. Some vehicles will also disable the cruise control system if a brake light bulb is being indicated as bad, the installation of Load Resistors will also solve this problem.

Brightness of LED Car Bulbs
LED bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them.
They are generally not as bright but some of them with large numbers of LEDs, will appear brighter than filament bulbs.
The light is distributed differently so they can appear brighter in some applications and not as bright in others, it depends on the size and shape of the bulb housing and reflector.
Most LED bulbs emit light like a flashlight, all out the end. Regular filament bulbs emit light from the end and all sides, so they will be better suited for some lighting applications than LED bulbs.
This is the same reason why we do not rate LED car bulbs in lumens or watts, they would be a deceptively low numbers because the light is measured from all sides and the end on standard filament bulbs but only from the end on LED bulbs

Which LEDs bulbs are brightest ?
Some of our bulbs are available with 12, 19, 24 or 30 LEDS, the more LEDs they have, the brighter they are.

Are your bulbs standard size?
All of our Tail/Brake lights are the standard one inch diameter except for the 30-LED units. They are 1-5/8 inch diameter so please measure to make sure they will fit in your housings. All of our car bulb types have a "more info" button near them, click these buttons to see dimensional drawings and other specifications.

What is the difference between Narrow and Wide viewing angle ?
Some of our bulbs are available with Narrow or Wide viewing angle. The Wide angle (approx. 100 degree beam) will light up more area but dimmer than the Narrow angle. The Narrow angle (approx. 15 degree) will illuminate a smaller area but brighter than the Wide angle. We also offer bulbs with some LEDs aiming out the end of the bulb and some radially mounted LEDs aiming out the sides of the bulb. These will provide a more complete and even light pattern on the vehicle lens.
We cannot recommend which type would work best in your vehicle because it depends on the size, shape and depth of your bulb housings. The Wide angle bulbs usually work best for most vehicles.

How do your LED bulbs achieve dual intensity?
All of our Tail/Brake bulbs achieve dual intensity modes by turning all of the LEDs on dim or all of the LEDs on bright, all of the LEDs are always lit when either mode is active.

If I install LED bulbs in the dash, will the dimmer still work?
Yes, LED bulbs will dim with your dash light intensity control

Warranty Information
Do not use LED bulbs in the same housing with head lamps, the heat will cause them to fail quickly and void the warranty.

We warrant all of our bulbs for one full year when if used in normal vehicle applications.
We do not warrant our car bulbs when used in applications other than normal vehicle bulb installations or if used in headlamp housings or to replace GM Day Time Running lights

Some GM vehicles apply a pulsed voltage to the Day Time Running lights (DTR), this pulsed voltage causes LED bulbs to fail quickly, just as the stock filament bulbs also fail quickly in these DTR installations.

Also note that our bulbs are sold individually, not in pairs.

For aftermarket use. May not comply with SAE or U.S. DOT standards
Warranty void if used in applications other than standard automotive replacement bulbs

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
Registered Member

White LEDs behind color lenses

So, the site recommended not to use clear LEDs behind red lenses (but use red instead). That doesn't make much sense because the original bulb is clear. What did you use, DieMaster?

RH77
Old 03-31-2006, 08:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

saw the website, very

saw the website, very interesting!!

Might have to go this route. The funny thing is at first my headlights are bright but after some driving they get very dim. I think If I change everything to LED they will stay bright and I might still gain 1mpg.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Re: White LEDs behind color lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
So, the site recommended not to use clear LEDs behind red lenses (but use red instead). That doesn't make much sense because the original bulb is clear. What did you use, DieMaster?

RH77
regulare bulbs are white-ish, and then the light is filtered thru a colord lens, white LED's produce what is pretty close to a white/blue (very clean looking white light) red LED's are not simply a white LED with a red filter, but the silicon chip that produces the light in an LED produces red light, or whatever color light it is without a filter.
I have a handful of each LED bulb replacement for my old car (new car is newer style of base on the bulbs for alot of the lights) and I tried a white LED in one side, and red in the other, and the red was brighter for the same manufacure of bulb replacements, also red LED's are much cheaper to produce, so I see no reson to use a more exspensive white LED behind a red lense.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #16
Driving on E

Re: White LEDs behind color lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
regulare bulbs are white-ish, and then the light is filtered thru a colord lens, white LED's produce what is pretty close to a white/blue (very clean looking white light) red LED's are not simply a white LED with a red filter, but the silicon chip that produces the light in an LED produces red light, or whatever color light it is without a filter.
I have a handful of each LED bulb replacement for my old car (new car is newer style of base on the bulbs for alot of the lights) and I tried a white LED in one side, and red in the other, and the red was brighter for the same manufacure of bulb replacements, also red LED's are much cheaper to produce, so I see no reson to use a more exspensive white LED behind a red lense.
The more I think about this the more sense it makes.

A red filter will filter everything EXCEPT for red, which means if your light is red to begin with, you have nothing to worry about.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #17
Supporting Member

I noticed these bulbs are on

I noticed these bulbs are on sale at canadian tire
<A HREF="http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444328 5172&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517494&FOLDE R%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517495&FOLDER%3C%3Ebro wsePath=1408474396670062&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140 8474396670062&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670 271&bmUID=1143910252341">LED bulb</A>
Ive thought about getting some but I dont think my lights are on enough for me to notice a gain. Maybe i'll just do brake lights for now and see if i notice a difference.
GasSavers_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

I did some research and LED

I did some research and LED turn signals are a no no on a nissan. Even with the flasher unit. I already had a problem with my turn signals this year I don't want to mess it up. I think I'll just buy the 2 red brake lights and 2 white license lights.

That should save me some power.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:36 PM   #19
Registered Member

I have some good news and

I have some good news and some bad news

bad news: turn signals won't work even with flasher unit, instrument cluster is full of bulbs, 3rd brake light hard to get to.

good news: my AC controls are only lighted up by 2 LED's, I can replace the 2 brake lights and 2 license plate lights with LED's.

And I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico, just kidding, LOL

Old 04-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #20
Registered Member

Re: I have some good news and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
And I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico, just kidding, LOL
lol i love those adds

why are led's no in tursignals? mine work just fine. u gota get the led flasher or get a heavy duty flasher so the flasher dosent buzz from the low current. i even hooked up a pot on my flasher so not only do i have leds, i got variable flash rate too lol i'm such a geek... lol

BTW if your car has the brake light burnd out idiot light just take the bulb out of the cluster :P it sounds stupid but u can allways use the crome bumper if the semi behind u to see of the lights are working

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote