Engine oil weight and fuel economy - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

Mobil 1 0W30

I used to run Mobil 1 0W30 in my '99 Civic Si, although it required 5W30-dino (for wear and economy since I ran it pretty hard). I was told that the synthetic equivalent of Zero-Weight synthetic is similar to 5-weight petroleum-based. I had to be careful with it -- since it was so light, I lost a lot between changes -- so much in fact, the ECU shut-down the VTEC system on me during an autocross cornering maneuver (since it's oil-pressure based). The rev-limiter cut way early -- I thought I broke something, took it to the dealer closeby, added some oil, reset the code, and I kept a better eye on things. After 2000 miles, you don't think to check the dipstick, but I should have.

Basically, check your oil level often if you to 0W.

RH77

Old 01-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Registered Member

oil consumption has a lot to

oil consumption has a lot to do with how hard you drive, is what you're saying, right?

i used to run 5/30 syn in my 89 accord with almost 400,000 kms on it, and it didn't use oil between changes. but i drove it very relaxed (55-60 mph hwy).

a couple of years ago i went across the country in it at slightly higher than normal speeds (65-70) and noticed it used a little bit of oil in 5000 kms (half a liter).

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
*shrug*

I'm also tempted by 5w20 and

I'm also tempted by 5w20 and 0w20, though I think they stopped making the green 0w20 like a year ago. I've just learned newer honda d17 engines run on 5w20 from the factory.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
Registered Member

the insight runs

the insight runs 0w20

http://www.insightcentral.net/demo/about-engine.html
Old 01-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #15
Registered Member

don't know if this is true,

don't know if this is true, but it might be an option for those concerned about going all out to 0w20.

you could do a 5w30 - 0w20 mix.

Quote:
mixing different weight oil does nothing more than give you a hybrid weight. nothing to worry about. (source)
or...

Quote:
years ago I asked an oil expert on the Compuserve CARS forum if there was a downside in mixing different weights of Mobil 1 to arrive at something approaching a 15W40. He stated my mix would be close to this weight in characteristics. So that is what I do. (source)
...although i've selected supporting claims. if you do a google search, you will find opinions on both sides of the fence. facts on the other hand (or official information) are harder to find.

that said, i've always read that synthetics are fully compatible with other synthetics and mineral based oils. with a broad claim like that, it seems logical that you can mix weights also.

Quote:
MIXING AMSOIL
AMSOIL ASL is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. (source)
the last sentence makes sense, if you're mixing syn with mineral.

we've all probably mixed syn & mineral of differing weights at some point. i have, in all the vehicles i've owned - usually because i'm short a liter or maybe half at oil change time, or topping up between oil changes with something else.

i'll probably try a 0w20 mix at my next change (spring, unfortunately - this would really help now).
Old 01-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
*shrug*

So you'll be mixing for a

So you'll be mixing for a 2.5w25? Sounds pretty interesting indeed. I wonder now about new versus old oil for gas mileage.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #17
Registered Member

Since the oil is thinner

Since the oil is thinner would the engine rev better???
Right now I'm using Royal purple 10W-30. I have never got such high mpg with regular oil or Mobil 1.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #18
Registered Member

Lets all get this straight.

Lets all get this straight. 0w30 protects at the same temp as 5w30 and 10w30, the first number just says how the oil performs in cold temps while the second number is the protection number tested at certain operating temps. Similar theory to what Metro said in the synthetic oil thread about only really helping in the cold. Sooooo, in colder areas a lighter first number could help, where in warmer climates in summer time, as long as the second number stays constant it shouldn't make any difference whatsoever. And weight is weight the numbers mean the same thing for synthetics as they do dino's the only possible explanation could be the guy knew the exact weight (legally oils fall in to a range so a 5w30 could actually be a 5.5w32 for instance, i'm not sure on what the range is off the top of my head.) Google Bob is the oil guy and start reading.
chesspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
Registered Member

nut job that i am, i went

nut job that i am, i went ahead and swapped out 1L of 5w30 syn for 1L of 0w20 syn from my car...

Quote:
mixing different weight oil... gives you a hybrid weight. nothing to worry about.
so i am now running 3.3w26.7

i just went crazy. also i burned my thumb on the drain plug.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #20
*shrug*

Haha. I'm putting some 5w20

Haha. I'm putting some 5w20 in my friend's civic this weekend because I saw it for sale and figured WTF. I had something important to tell you metro, but now I forget, and now I remembered again. You're site is number one when you search "block heater mpg" on goodle.