Engine Temps - Coasting To a Stop - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike View Post
your heater core is like a small radiator. when you shut down the engine the coolant isn't moving anymore
But the stationary coolant is still hot right? I can't think that the coolant would get cold immediately.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Team GasMisers5!

My car is so old, it doesn't have a catalytic convertor .

I use P&G on my way in (although have the water at 80 degrees C from the block heater on one of the journeys). I use 50% throttle, then cut the engine. I use less petrol, therefore less CO2 is produced, and my engine isn't in the warm-up phase. The engine warms up more quickly at 50% throttle for short periods compared to constant low-throttle driving.

Peakster - the air is heated by the engine coolant, which goes through pipes into a little radiator under the dashboard. The engine coolant is pumped by the water pump, which only works when the engine is running. So when the engine is off, you are using the heat in the water in that little radiator, which cools down quite quickly.

Do you have a grille block by the way? If not, it is a good way to get the car to warm up faster, especially when using P&G.

Edit - two posts since I started writing this . Still some useful info though.

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
Registered Member

Yeah, I do have a grille block (see garage pictures), but I need to fabricate a better-sealing one. I wonder if I could change my water pump so it works when the key is in the "on" position when the engine is turned off?
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
If it is not too cool out then you probably should shut it off since you are burning gas at a high rate and going no where. This also give the heat that you already generated to spread into the colder ports of the engine a little more gradual. What kills me is the light at the end of the first block that I sit at while burning .5gph warming up all the time.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
But the stationary coolant is still hot right? I can't think that the coolant would get cold immediately.
I would think it wouldn't get cold immediately..

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike View Post
I would think it wouldn't get cold immediately..
Yeah, but he's talking a level of cold that you and I never see...
Old 04-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
If it is not too cool out then you probably should shut it off since you are burning gas at a high rate and going no where. This also give the heat that you already generated to spread into the colder ports of the engine a little more gradual.
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking... I mean, 70-200F in a few minutes is quite a bit of stress for aluminum :P

But, as said in the first reply -- emissions are a concern too - waiting for the catalyst to heat up.... I think I'll split the difference and let my engine warm up 1/2-3/4 before shut down. We'll see what the meter says in a few weeks :P

As for the 90% of engine wear comes from start up.... I think a lot of engine wear comes from cold and dry start up, but 90% seems a bit high.

Thanks for all the response

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
Registered Member

Heating Up

I've noticed that cutting the engine and coasting will actually heat up the coolant temp while the coolant sits in the block jackets, unpumped. Didn't think about the Cat...

This is a good thread...

For emissions purposes, there's no way to know the Cat temp -- just coolant, IAT, or other parameters if equipped (oil temp).

I know some that P&G on warmup -- I guess it helps FE, not emissions. With the recent cold-snap here, I'll try the engine-on coast for warmup.

So, for the minority of us automatics, do we leave it in "D" to heat-up the transmission, or pop to "N"? The transmission needs heat too...
Old 04-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
So, for the minority of us automatics, do we leave it in "D" to heat-up the transmission, or pop to "N"? The transmission needs heat too...
I don't have the answer - but that reminds me of another scenario -- Engine off - in gear coasting... Until today, I was doing this if I burned too long and there was a stop coming up... But earlier today I had an epiphany that doing so was just cooling down the exhaust/emissions equipment with cool air :/

Does anyone know if the programmers fully cut back on fuel when coasting (0% throttle, in gear cost down)? Or do they add a little fuel to keep emissions equipment warm and ready to go?

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #20
*shrug*

Engine braking = complete fuel cut.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote