eoc b4 engine is completely warmed up, good or bad? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

eoc b4 engine is completely warmed up, good or bad?

My road is about 3 1/2 miles long and I can coast it all with only tapping on the gas pedal 3x, as long as cars do not impede my way. But each of those 3 taps would require I pop it into 5th to start the engine for about 2-3 seconds each time. I start the coast from my driveway and do not even start the car until a about .7 miles from home.
My question is whether it's ok to EOC when the engine is not warmed up?
My thinking is it is "probably" OK in the warm weather but maybe not so OK when it starts to get cold outside?
Any insight as I'm trying to average over 55MPG but do not want to cause damage in the process...

mpg_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
*shrug*

I wouldn't EOC on a cold engine just because you will prolong the period of bad emissions and high engine wear that comes along with a cold engine. However, I think coasting before turning it on it fair because that legitimately lowers emissions/wear by effectively reducing the distance of the drive...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #3

I was thinking the sam' t'ing
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I live at the top of a hill as well, and work in an area that after the first 1/4 mile, I can coast for 2 miles with the engine off, so I've been asking my self the same question, if it's better to let the car idle and coast, or turn it off, I think it's best to turn it off if it's not doing any work, as it's not going to warm up as fast if it's idling, then if it's doing work, and at idle, in motion it's going to be pumping water, so it's not going to warm up very fast either, and because the oil hasn't had enough time to compleatly drain back down, it's going to lubricate those moving parts at least a little on start up.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Im interested too! I live on a hill so whenever I leave for work or school in the morning, I can EOC for 1.6 miles before I drift start it in 5th. I wouldn't do this on a particularly cold day but any opinions on damage?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

The EOC portion of my return commute is at the very start of my journey. I generally start the car, give the car gas for about 2 seconds in order to get to the first hill, then coast through my school's parking lot. I then turn off the engine and EOC for 6 kilometers. This is done on a 3 speed automatic transmission equipped car.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Sounds like a bike would coast down that quite nicely.
Yes it would, but it's the other 59 miles to work that would kill me...
mpg_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered Member

This applies to me also! I usually let the Metro coast out of our driveway which is downhill, and then crank it up at the bottom. I usually give it one quick crank before letting it coast so that way any and all bearings get a quick shower of transaxle fluid. Not sure if that's actually logical or not, but that's just how I do it. It's not as though it would warm up quickly going down our driveway in D. The Metro also reaches optimal temperature in about a mile or a mile & 1/2, so the bad emissions stretch is not too long.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote