EOC Miles Tally - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

EOC Miles Tally

how many EOC miles do you drive on a tank of fuel?

at first, i performed EOC only when ending a trip. now, being more comfortable w/ it, i've been incorporating bumb starting to maximize the miles. still trying to perfect that technique however.

looking for a benchmark of sorts. certainly every driving style and type of miles vary, but i'm wondering how many "free" miles i might expect to get.

thanks.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I have been EOCing like a fiend ever since I replaced by battery. During the winter without EOCing I was getting in the 30s. Because I have a bad o2 sensor, my engine spends much of its time in open loop. But my engine has to be running about 90 seconds before the engine light will come on. So if I just turn the engine off all the time, I can drive without the car going into open loop--and spend much of the time coasting. It all depends on your route. I live off-campus at Umass so I don't have a long enough drive to let my engine warm up, so I EOC like crazy, and coast most of the way to and from class. Now, instead of getting mpg in the 30s, I'm in the 50s.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #3

I haven't officially tallied, but I would venture to guess I EOC at least 20 miles per tank.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I EOC approaching lights all the time. Also I coast the last half mile coming home; helps make up for the 10mpg I get going up the half mile hill leaving home with a cold engine.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

I suppose that's an advantage of where I live, on a hill, so I get to idle/coast 3 or 4 blocks downhill with a cold motor, and typically don't have to climb it again until it's warm.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hard to say because i use drafting with eoc and eoc downhill and eoc uphill as much as possible. On ten gallons of fuel it would be about 100 (because eo at stop lights). I am going to drive about 100 miles today so i will try to see what amount is eoc.
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cheap1 View Post
Hard to say because i use drafting with eoc and eoc downhill and eoc uphill as much as possible. On ten gallons of fuel it would be about 100 (because eo at stop lights). I am going to drive about 100 miles today so i will try to see what amount is eoc.
100 miles, that's awesome! guessing i MIGHT get 20-30.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

My trip was 87 miles, i did 11 miles of EOC, this was just EOC, i did not count coasting in neutral or drafting. I don't believe what i saw today. I went to the San Fernando Valley. Traffic was generally light and only going 65 or LESS. The big rigs were forming caravans and they slowed down!! On my return trip there were big gaps of open freeway, I have not seen this much space except on a Sunday morning. Some pick up trucks were only going 50 mph. I could have went 45 and i would have not held up anyone. I think its starting to sink in just how much hurt the hi fuel prices are going to do to us and our economy. Anyway i was able to eoc for 3 miles at one stretch on the way home.

1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote