EOC Pulse & Glide? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I asked on golfmkv.com but nobody knew, and most people were more interested in lambasting me for EOC.

Most car forums are like frat boy fraternities, only interested in being one of the boys, anybody who stands out gets singled out, be thankful your not one of those goons.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

Always learning. Thank you. I'll try it soon!

KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARR View Post
Always learning
Me too
Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I asked on golfmkv.com but nobody knew, and most people were more interested in lambasting me for EOC.
Out of curiousity, I re-read my VW manual and it said that EOC will potentially cause damage to the transmission, due to lack of lubrication, so I've decided that I will no longer EOC with the Passat. Luckily, it's not my daily driver so I can still get good FE with my Tercel.

Anyway, you might want to check out your owner's manual and see what it says about towing your Rabbit.
Karishnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Is yours automatic or manual?

I'm pretty sure that it's ok with a manual regardless of whatever the manual says. I'll have to look at the owner's manual again, but I think I'll keep doing it regardless of what it says.

The golfmkv.com users were concerned not about the longevity of my transmission, but rather because they assumed I was going to hurt someone due to lack of power steering (they forgot that the car has electric power steering), brakes (besides the 3-5 brake uses I have in retained pressure, I'm strong enough to stop well with manual brakes), acceleration (nobody told me exactly how it would help), and children (the places where I EOC are in the middle of a forest with no pedestrian access, far from civilization, with no other traffic).
Old 06-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karishnikov View Post
Out of curiousity, I re-read my VW manual and it said that EOC will potentially cause damage to the transmission, due to lack of lubrication.
I am not sure how the VW transmission works but if its like most of the gearboxes I have opened it will get lubrications when ever the wheels turn, remember the drive shafts never stop which are connected to differential which is in submerged in part of the oil, the oil climbs up the gears and is spun around coating everything in oil.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #17
Registered Member

According to VW, the automatic transmission does not receive proper lubrication with the engine off. This is based solely on what I read in the owner's manual. I would be glad disregard it if I had evidence to the contrary, but I'd rather be cautious with that car since I'm still paying for it.

Made a trip today without using EOC, but still using EOI and I saw about a 4 mpg drop from 30 to 26 on 45 mph roads with a stoplight every mile for 20 miles. Since we drive that car less than my Tercel, the drop in FE doesn't hurt the pocketbook too much.
Karishnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I didn't realize that we were talking about automatics. My VW has a manual transmission.

Most automatics are NOT equipped for EOC.