Extra Vehicle Capacity - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
I've heard the Smartcar Fortwo is pretty roomy for its size. Know if it's 6'4" roomy?
Rent one for a week to be sure you like it.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #52
Registered Member

I was asking the tall people!

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
I've heard the Smartcar Fortwo is pretty roomy for its size. Know if it's 6'4" roomy?
7'1", 375-lb Shaq O'Neil drives one. That should tell you something.
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/08...-and-buys.html
GasSavers_NovaResource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I'm 6'4", and legroom is a must. All my vehicles have pleanty of legroom and headroom, plus squishy seats are a must. I grew up in the middle of nowhere and up until a few years ago I put 15K - 20K miles/yr on my vehicles. I grew up driving a lot. We lived 5 miles from the nearest convenience store, and 12 miles from the closest grocery store. Just to go to 7-11 and back was about a 40 - 45 minute round trip. You had to really want that gallon of milk. Driving all those miles on poorly maintained rural roads gave me a profound appreciation of full size American cars and trucks. My old 9 passenger Pontiac wagon would take all the bumps and potholes, and inside you'd hardly feel any of it. The same trip in a compact car and your bones were shaking when you got out.

I grew up in an area where a large car on a long wheelbase was almost a necessity. Add on top of that that I'm tall and I really don't like small cars. I have to admit though, the Chrysler K cars rode extremely well for their size. My dad's Focus is pretty nice, the only thing he doesn't have on his is the leather seats. Nice little car, and with the 5 speed its pretty fun to drive.

-Jay
oh yes, if i travel some rural roads in my chevette its pretty bumpy sometimes.
my friends 1975 maverick rides like an air matress, dont feel the bumps but its just and odd feeling when your just bouncing in the seat and the cars not...

his 99 buick century is nice too, it rides and sits well. but i must say nothign beats my grandpas new buick LeSabre, huge car, extremely comfy squishy seats just glides over bumps

our 77 capreece was really great riding too just the hot vynal wasnt all great lol
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #55
Registered Member

I am just under 6'1". This is the trip A mileage for yesterday's 40 some mile trip. 2002 Honda Insight CVT (automatic). The manuals are known to average 90+ when driven for maximum mileage.

regards
gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02884.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1329  
Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #56
Registered Member

seems that I am a man of short stature...literally (and that I am kind of alone in that).

you can test drive a smart at some mercedes dealerships. we (my wife and I) went and test drove one. we were on the list for some time but got off of it because we got a baby. the space is pretty good actually. my wife drives a honda element and she said it was comperable to the space in it except the dimension across of course. there is also next to no cargo space but that goes without saying.

they also turn on a dime. they are fun little cars. I may someday get one but no time soon. economy sucks and now there are 3 mouths to feed.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #57
Site Team / Moderator

OOOh, the boxy Caprices! I love those! I have to admit though, that I think that the best year for them was 1990 with the 9C1 package. Man are those fun to drive!

My 1980 Pontiac Bonneville Safari wagon was built on the same frame as the 77 Caprice. Man I loved that car. Ouch about the vinyl seats though. 13 years and almost 190,000 miles the seats still looked great, but man were they hot in the summer! I used to keep a beachtowel in the car in the summer. Not for going to the beach or the pool, but to put on the seat after the car was baking in the summer sun for hours.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
OOOh, the boxy Caprices! I love those! I have to admit though, that I think that the best year for them was 1990 with the 9C1 package. Man are those fun to drive!

My 1980 Pontiac Bonneville Safari wagon was built on the same frame as the 77 Caprice. Man I loved that car. Ouch about the vinyl seats though. 13 years and almost 190,000 miles the seats still looked great, but man were they hot in the summer! I used to keep a beachtowel in the car in the summer. Not for going to the beach or the pool, but to put on the seat after the car was baking in the summer sun for hours.

-Jay
LOL agreed, friends of ours had the slightly more modern one i belive it weas an 89 capreece and rode the great same.

haha yea we had a beach towel too, the drivers seat finnally started cracking tho, rest were great!
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
Something like you suggest does exist in certain areas of the country:
http://www.zipcar.com/
http://www.citycarshare.org/
http://www.phillycarshare.org/
http://www.carsharing.net/
http://www.austincarshare.org/
and dozens more. Do a Google Search on "carshare"
I was about to chime in on a truck/suv vehicle sharing program. I'm still holding onto my 4runner because I do use it quite regularly (and its a 4cyl manual= average 26mpg), but if I could get in a vehicle sharing co-op type program I would seriously consider it.

Toyman321 is offline   Reply With Quote