FAS'ing and engine temps - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
As for traffic, I'm more concerned with who/what is behind me than what's ahead...how do you deal with that?
I find that keeping up with traffic on my route isn't an issue. On two lane roads, they either have very light traffic (I can go slower if need be) or the traffic is heavy so speeds are slow anyway. On the highway portion of my route it is 4 lane and I just hang in the right lane. I am also lucky that the speed limit is 55 MPH for half of the time and 45 truck speed limit for the other half due to hills and sharp curves. In Pittsburgh, there is not much aggressive driving. I don't get many complaints or road rage. Just every once in a blue moon.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:10 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
As well as the immediate benefit of reducing fuel consumption and emissions, stopping the engine also improves the performance of the catalytic converter, as in a normal vehicle the exhaust gases from an idling engine tend to cool the catalysts below their optimal temperature.

if that line is true then you know what that means??!?!!?!? I got it out of the toyota prius wikipedia.

now we just got to get rid of the raw fuel posioning the catalytic converter during a bump start reason and then we should be in the clear!

Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #33
Registered Member

even more info! from danman32 from priusonline.com
Quote:
Although it is true that the Prius ICE is quite often, even short trips should be no different on a Prius than a conventional car. The Prius is designed to come up to temp as soon as possible. Even so, ICE startup in the Prius is much different than a conventional car. In a conventional startup, ICE is revved rather slowly compared to normal idle, and relies on fuel and spark to get it to autonimously run. On the Prius however, the ICE is spun at about 600-1000 RPM before spark and fuel is introduced. This is similar to clutch starting a manual transmission car while it is rolling down the road at 30 MPH. This puts very little wear on the car and the oil. Because of this, I would believe that although short trips would cause more wear on the oil than long trips, it wouldn't be any worse, and probably better, than short trips in a conventional car.
INTERESTING INDEED I mean all your doing is using the EV motor to spin the magnetic engine to a certain revolution. Then by itself it should automatically start firing because it has momentum. Just like when bump starting the momentum of the wheels push the engine into motion and that motion ALONE starts the car.No wonder its so much smoother than a RERERRRERERR BROOOOMMMMM!