FE Team Challenge - discussion - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
No fillup as yet, but I assume all my readings from now on will be in the first round for 'GasMisers5' . I have been trying extra-hard to save gas, and my tank seems to be doing very well (going by the fuel gauge). My SuperMID compatibility circuit (due to my fuel injectors being a strange type with pulse-width modulation) will be made this weekend, and I have just ordered my Correx. Grill block, rad block, rear wheel (partial) skirts, maybe partial front wheel skirts, and partial underbody tray here we come
landspeed. With all that work planned, when will you have time to drive anywhere? Try to make us here in the U.S. feel good with $3 gas prices. Tell us what you pay in U.S dollars per U.S. gallon in Scotland.

You can report once weekly whether you fill or not. SuperMid or gas gauge estimates are OK. Reports on other FE Team Challenge thread.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #82
Team GasMisers5!

Currently $6.72 per US gallon (88.9p per litre = 336.5p per US gallon = $6.72)

I will buy the stuff for the circuit this weekend, don't know if I will get round to building it though. I'm going to use duck tape *inside* the grilles (so it isn't that visible) tomorrow morning before my next journey . My car isn't yet compatible with SuperMID, and I think gas gauge estimates are only accurate to about 15% as it varies depending on slight tilts etc. I will be filling up tomorrow morning anyway and will post it!.

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #83
DRW
Registered Member

I like you team name, 'GasMisers5' very catchy!
Now I'm feeling left out since our team hasn't chosen a name yet. eek!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:29 AM   #84
Registered Member

Thanks to DRW, Team 2 now has a good name: team Slow Burn!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:15 AM   #85
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Cool!

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #86
Registered Member

Quote:
I just got 37.91mpg, over 196.3 miles, and 5.18 gallons . This tank is a commuting tank, and this is the best I have ever got for a pure commuting tank!. My next tank won't be so good - started well, but I started the car about 40 times trying to test SuperMID with my Oscilloscope The fuel gauge dropped significantly (I managed to warm the engine up to the point where the cooling fans came on, twice, without moving the car at all).

So, put front of the car on jack stands if you have to let it idle while you work on it... idle it in 5th gear
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #87
Team GasMisers5!

If I ever get instantaneous fuel-economy feedback, I will actually do that in the gears, to work out the fuel consumption idling at different RPMs in neutral, and then in different gears, to see the transmission drag (although the transmission drag will be a bit less when you are not driving as less force will go through the transmission).

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #88
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm going to use duck tape *inside* the grilles (so it isn't that visible) tomorrow morning before my next journey .
Instead of duct tape you could use coroplast or aluminum flashing painted black, and attach it to the inside of the grille with some black twist ties. More durable and less visible. The upper grille of the Orange Toaster is blocked, and you can hardly even notice in my photos.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #89
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
If I ever get instantaneous fuel-economy feedback, I will actually do that in the gears, to work out the fuel consumption idling at different RPMs in neutral, and then in different gears, to see the transmission drag (although the transmission drag will be a bit less when you are not driving as less force will go through the transmission).
I also tested fuel consumption in neutral at various rpms. It was suprising and enlightening. At idle it uses .35gph, 1k rpm uses .45gph, 2k rpm uses .84gph, and 2.5k uses 1.16gph. When driving on the freeway at steady speed at 55mph the engine is turning 2k rpm and uses about 1.6gph. Half of the fuel is used just to turn the engine! It makes me want to push in the clutch and coast for a while.

I haven't thought about testing driveline drag, I also wonder how much it uses?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #90
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Thanks MetroMPH! I'm so proud I added our team name to my sig!

PS. can our team have it's own theme song? This song has been stuck in my head all day. It seems appropriate. http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-p...929144-8036652