FE Team Challenge - discussion - Page 10 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-25-2007, 02:54 AM   #91
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
I also tested fuel consumption in neutral at various rpms. It was suprising and enlightening. At idle it uses .35gph, 1k rpm uses .45gph, 2k rpm uses .84gph, and 2.5k uses 1.16gph. When driving on the freeway at steady speed at 55mph the engine is turning 2k rpm and uses about 1.6gph. Half of the fuel is used just to turn the engine! It makes me want to push in the clutch and coast for a while.

I haven't thought about testing driveline drag, I also wonder how much it uses?
I'm surprised that half the fuel is used to turn the engine (however, I suppose that as you are maintaining a steady speed, it makes it worse). That makes me even less likely to cruise at steady speeds unless I need to!. I have recently started driving at just below the point where the engine enriches (about 1/3 throttle on my turbo car), and then cut the engine when possible for downhills (even slight gradients where I can go from 40mph to 20mph, but cover 1 mile doing so).

I'm thinking the driveline drag will show the effect of the oil and the bearings in the transmission (also the wheel bearings, CV joints, etc). I assume that when driving, there will be increased resistance as there is more 'load' on the gearbox. I'm not sure how much the resistance would go up however.

The advantage of transmission testing is that you could test the transmission for 5 minutes, after a 10 minute warmup drive in summer. Then change the oil to a supposedly better one, and then test it again for 5 minutes - and see what the difference is!. You could subtract the GPH of the idling engine to see the effect on the transmission.

Edit - Mods - you could move this to the 'discussion' thread if you want, so we keep this thread for stats etc from now on

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:08 AM   #92
Team GasMisers5!

I think I will do that with the coroplast - come to think of it, it may well arrive tomorrow!. I think I will make a quick grille block, and have a look to see if there are any ways to quickly and easily fit a front underbody tray - the engine on my car is completely exposed to the road, so I'm sure many gains could be made here.

Oh yes - Tyres now at 50PSI - they had fallen considerably - and EO Coasts now seem to go on a lot longer

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Hypomiler
Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #93
Team GasMisers5!

Aero Mods done

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....5074#post45074

Tank seems to be going pretty well (have done 150 miles so far, before the Aero mods, the whole tank so far being 10-mile cold-start commuting, and half of it at night).

Hypomiler
Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #94
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Aww too bad I missed it! I'd love to be on a team, see what I can do to get my MPG up for the good of the people!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #95
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieTurbo View Post
Aww too bad I missed it! I'd love to be on a team, see what I can do to get my MPG up for the good of the people!
Don't worry, the team competition is only 30 days, then new teams will be chosen and others will get a chance to squeeze out insane FE. Plus you get to wrack your brain to find the ultimate coolest team name.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #96
Registered Member

GasMisers5 Team

GasMisers5 Team, 3/27

landspeed, omgwtfbyobbq, jwxr7, FormulaTwo, we have done ourselves proud in our first week of the FE Team Challenge.

landspeed, omgwtfbyobbq, jwxr7 all with great tanks. FormulaTwo, we know you're lurking out there somewhere.

I appreciate the dedication and hard work you guy are putting in. CO ZX2

Go GasMisers5.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #97
Registered Member

In order to keep it simple we will be running 4 week block instead of every 30 days. All competitions will begin on Monday 12:01 am. also fills need to be recorded before Sunday night before the begining of competition to count when talling final results.

If you are interested in fielding a team we will be resetting the EPA values in a 1 1/2 weeks. The start of the next round will begin Monday April 9th. So it you get a team together with the required cars let me know and will add you to the competition.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 AM   #98
Registered Member

This is the last week of round one of the competition. If you have a team together and want to join the fun now is the time to do it. Will be resetting the EPA numbers Sunday 12:00am and starting the next go around on Monday. Team OB will remain intact and is ready to rumble.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #99
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

3 gallon check

Are we using the 3 gallon min fill for reports or is it now a weekly report regardless of mileage and fuel use?

I did not report based on the 3 gallon fill rule.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #100
Registered Member

MetroMPG: COZX2's nutty 6 mile journey vaults GasMisers5 into the stratosphere!

Metro, Your nutty 4 mile mileage for last week inspired me. . . . .CO ZX2

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote