FE Team Challenge -- Dropped Members + Extended Cycle to 42 Days - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

FE Team Challenge -- Dropped Members + Extended Cycle to 42 Days

As we've learned, the rule format for the Challenge is a living, breathing document that can be amended as situations change.

2 items have come up very recently:
  1. Members Needing to Leave the Team, and
  2. The potential for a longer cycle -- to 42 days.

Do we have any ideas on teams with dropped members? I know of 2, so it isn't an isolated incident. How should this be handled? Simply replace the member, incur a penalty, input an average??? Any ideas?

Also, there strong support right now to extend the cycle to 42-days. This way, the 3-gallon min. fill requirement shouldn't be a factor, and this makes 4 even cycles for the summer. New teams would still be fairly added for both parties, via the 90-day average adjustment.

This will go into effect immediately unless there are any objections.

What do you think?

-The Commish

Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
As we've learned, the rule format for the Challenge is a living, breathing document that can be amended as situations change.

Do we have any ideas on teams with dropped members? I know of 2, so it isn't an isolated incident. How should this be handled? Simply replace the member, incur a penalty, input an average??? Any ideas?
I don't think there should be a penalty. Hard core FE wears on ya. Folks are going to come and go. That's just the nature of it.

If they leave at the end of a cycle it's just plug and play. No problems.

If they leave before the end of the cycle have the new member official start on a Monday. Use the team average up to that point with the old member. Then using the new team members recalculate the average from that point and at the end of the cycle just average the gains for both and use that for the final result.

I think that there should be no penalty for the new member if he does not fill for the cycle unless the old member had not filled. If a new guy comes on with one week left he might not drive enought to make the min fill requirement but if the old member has filled that that should be credited to the team. Just use the new guys 90 day average as the fill. If the old member had not filled then a fill is required and there is a penalty if not accomplished at the end of the cycle..

The team must meet the car requirements. If one member leaves the replacement must fufill the team car requirements. For example if a automatic transmission powered car leaves the team must replace it with an auto if that was the only one on the team.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:

Also, there strong support right now to extend the cycle to 42-days. This way, the 3-gallon min. fill requirement shouldn't be a factor, and this makes 4 even cycles for the summer. New teams would still be fairly added for both parties, via the 90-day average adjustment.

This will go into effect immediately unless there are any objections.

What do you think?

-The Commish
I have PM'd GasMisers5 Team members to see if we want to continue or quit. CO ZX2
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

I think simply replacing a member would work out ok (no penalty, any vehicle in a team could be totalled at any time for example). I have no objection to 42 day cycles.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

CO ZX2 -- Need Input

Z- sounds like a good plan.

CO ZX2 -- Clearly there's a concern if you want to disband an entire team. Without vocalizing it, how can we attempt to correct it? Feedback is requested.

RH77
Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Game not over.

Quote:

CO ZX2 -- Clearly there's a concern if you want to disband an entire team. Without vocalizing it, how can we attempt to correct it? Feedback is requested.RH77
CO ZX2: I have been involved in competitive auto racing most of my life and have never experienced rules changes during a competition. Some may have complained a little but knew they had to stick to the rules which they agreed to when they entered. (and they did)

Using facts from FE Team Competition rules discussion and voting the last few days I have prepared a ridiculous analogy. But honestly look at the similarities to what has happened here on GasSavers recently.

Imagine if!!!
NEWSFLASH:
The SuperBowl was played Sunday. We thought we knew who won. . . .

But the results were not satisfactory to some.

Some feel an additional half should be played within a couple weeks.

Three players and three spectators want new rules. Others advocate simply ignoring the rules.

One brilliant thought was that the loser's score be doubled.

No one should mind or care. It's just a game. All for fun.

The American Way. Isn't this a great country?

__________________________________________________ ________________
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

CO -

First: I think your enthusiasm about the competition is admirable.

But to set the record straight, in my initial private message to you responding to your request to add your team, I said that the first session of the competition was originally intended to have 2 teams, specifically because we knew there would be bugs to be worked out.

It was for that reason we wanted to wait until the end of the first session to open up the competition to others. In a sense, the over-riding rule of the first session was, in a nutshell: "the rules of this competition after the first session may change."

Despite this, you asked to add your team, and we said, "OK". By joining, agreement with that situation was implied.

In retrospect, I should have said "no" to the request for a third team until the first session was over. Then, you and your members could have watched and made suggestions to the process without it affecting you personally. So you have my apologies on that.

But seriously: let's take a deep breath and relax. The FE challenge isn't the Superbowl. It's not the Olympics. It was intended as a fun way to involve people who recognize that a little friendly competition can be a good motivator.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

All I wanna do, is be able to enter with my own team. The pickup, rabbit, camry, scooter, and one of my bicycles. Then I'll die happy.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

I'd be inclined to say "sure!" just for the entertainment factor. I'll start a poll right now!

(jk)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
All I wanna do, is be able to enter with my own team. The pickup, rabbit, camry, scooter, and one of my bicycles. Then I'll die happy.
I would love to see this!!!!

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote