Fell off the wagon this morning - major hangover - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
You should be looking at rpms per mile, since that's a bit more important.
Well, if I'm getting better rpms @80 than at 60, then my rpms per mile is going to be even better since I'm going faster.

>88HF: the faster you go the harder you run yourself up a brick wall because of your Cd.

That's true, but I drive a Sable, which has a particularly large and curved rear-end. My working theory is that the Sable is very aerodyamic.

Anyway, I get good mpg flying headlong down the expressway. The Sable is a good road-trip car. I know that better mileage @80 is unusual and I'll be looking for ways to test this.

broodlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
Registered Member

I used to see redline at least once a day, and usualy shifted at 5000 rpm getting on the freeway, and at least 3000-4000 normally. Now I feel guilty if the rpms get too close to 3000 before I shift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Well, I hate to say it, but the diagnosis: turns out you're human.

Most of us lose it now-and-then and just romp on it (especially with a lot of us with backgrounds in racing, or just liking to drive fast).

RH77

Old 06-19-2007, 03:45 AM   #23
Registered Member

you know, I have a turbocharged sportscar that is meant to really get on it...I bought the car to challenge the envelope...this means performance from all points of view as far as I am concerned

I get 40 miles to the gallon on the open road when I'm hypermileaging (is that a word?)

driving for efficiency I have a ball...around town when there's nobody else on the road I get over 50 mpg...man this is fun stuff

however I have fun driving the twisties and pressing my car the way it's supposed to be driven...I get less then 19 mpg when I play rough

I fund my rough driving with the money I save from hypermileaging (is this a word or not?)

it's two differant gears for me, to completely differant activities, like playing chess and playing tennis...both great fun for me but two completely differant things to do

perris is offline   Reply With Quote